Elk hunting and rifles from an Oklahoma perspective.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw some talk of Elk rifles on another thread and am interested in what other Oklahoma Elk hunters use, their methods of hunting, and anything else they want to input about Elk hunting. Although I'm a native born Oklahoman I didn't hunt deer or Elk until I lived in the Rocky Mountain west. I learned from natives there and, I believe, many of the way western natives hunted in the 60's-80's is different from the way flatlanders hunt today. Just interested in your techniques and equipment. I'm not going back west this year but probably will next fall.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went back and read this and it sounds a little like someone wanting to ambush posters about their preferences. I'm not. I'm genuinely interested in how folks prefer to hunt Elk and I think lots of potential Elk hunters will be able to learn from it. Everyone that hunts them has information of value and I'm not really interested in any criticism of someones experiences.

I'll kick it off a little. I've taken Bull Elk with many calibers and never had a problem with them. I've never taken a cow or smaller than a three point but that will change when I go back due to the extreme cost of an out of state license (and I love Elk meat.) Here is a listing of the ones I have shot Elk with. 7x57, .280 Rem, .30-06, .308, .300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, .35 Rem, .358 Win, .35 Whelen, .375 H&H. A couple of calibers have accounted for several bulls. I enjoyed using them all. Different calibers for different hunts.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went back and read this and it sounds a little like someone wanting to ambush posters about their preferences. I'm not. I'm genuinely interested in how folks prefer to hunt Elk and I think lots of potential Elk hunters will be able to learn from it. Everyone that hunts them has information of value and I'm not really interested in any criticism of someones experiences.

I'll kick it off a little. I've taken Bull Elk with many calibers and never had a problem with them. I've never taken a cow or smaller than a three point but that will change when I go back due to the extreme cost of an out of state license (and I love Elk meat.) Here is a listing of the ones I have shot Elk with. 7x57, .280 Rem, .30-06, .308, .300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, .35 Rem, .358 Win, .35 Whelen, .375 H&H. A couple of calibers have accounted for several bulls. I enjoyed using them all. Different calibers for different hunts.

My father-in-law uses nothing but his 7x57. Never in Oklahoma though, just Colorado.

What range and hunting conditions did you use a .35 Rem??

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black Timber - 15 yard shot. Most of my shots were in the black timber and that wasn't the closest. I hunted Elk the same as I bowhunted - up close and personal. It's still my favorite way to hunt anything. I started out in Army recon in the 60's. I never shot a bull at over 85 paces. I have shot deer up to about 200 yards, but never anything further. It was just my way to hunt so I went to that terrain. The tough part was getting them out. My 7x57 bull was with Norma factory 150gr Nosler at about 50 yards. Don't think they make that any more. My current deer rifle has similar ballistics. 7mm-08.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend from southern Mississippi joined a group of us on one hunt in extreme southern Colorado a few years ago and he took a nice bull at about 150 yards with that gun. One shot DRT.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer a .300 win mag. However this year I finally got a lighter 8lb ish 7stw and will use that. I feel that a good well placed shot using a controlled expansion or solid copper bullet has more to do with killing an elk verses caliber. I've only used barnes since I've gotten older. My dad loved the swift a frame and used those when I was younger in a .308 win and never felt under gunned. I've killed one bull and a cow with my kimber and loaned it to a few friends and it's accounted for three other elk. I prefer to gain elevation early and glass till the thermals switch and try to stalk if I find one worth . Never elk hunted timber much primarily mesas and parks spot and stalk is my preferred method to hunt elk deer and bear. Not much of a "stand hunter" If access and terrain permits I'll spot and stalk or still hunt. Can't wait till I leave for colorado in 20 days exactly from today.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck next month! 7mm has always been a popular bullet diameter for big deer and Elk. I've heard good things about the 7mm STW but have no personal experience with it. The way I hunted I had no real need for a long range flat shooter but I believe that's not the norm. One of my favorite deer guns was a .280 with 6x Leupold and hot handloads. Took several deer with it but only smallish bull.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've never hunted Elk but it's on my bucket list. When I do, it'll be with my 45 - 70 or I'll build a .62 Fusil de chasse flint lock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom