Ending Your Marriage with a Bang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of agree with that. It's like she didn't fully "accept" the marriage from the very start.

Kind of like demanding a pre-nuptial agreement. If one doesn't trust their spouse enough before the wedding, have they really found the "right" person?
I know a few women who have kept their last names after marriage, or chosen to hyphenate. One, a very good friend of mine, kept her last name after her divorce twenty years ago, and continued to keep it after her remarriage five years ago.

She also had a thriving accountancy practice built under than name. A change of name would throw away thirty years' worth of name recognition and goodwill.

I have no qualms whatsoever in saying she absolutely did not fail to "fully 'accept' the marriage from the very start." And yes, there was a prenup, too. In some ways, there had to be--many professions restrict ownership of equity shares in professional corporations to members of that profession (only lawyers can own equity in a law firm, for instance), and he isn't an accountant. They also both have adult children and family properties that are intended to go to their respective families, not necessarily children who came along decades later.

There can be many reasons for keeping names and making business arrangements. It doesn't necessarily signal a lack of commitment, just acknowledgment of reality.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Women I can understand the hyphen, especially for what Dave said. But why do I see grown ass men with it? Their mothers cursed them with it when they should have just picked one for the poor kid? Or is there some other reason I'm not getting?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a few women who have kept their last names after marriage, or chosen to hyphenate. One, a very good friend of mine, kept her last name after her divorce twenty years ago, and continued to keep it after her remarriage five years ago.

She also had a thriving accountancy practice built under than name. A change of name would throw away thirty years' worth of name recognition and goodwill.

I have no qualms whatsoever in saying she absolutely did not fail to "fully 'accept' the marriage from the very start." And yes, there was a prenup, too. In some ways, there had to be--many professions restrict ownership of equity shares in professional corporations to members of that profession (only lawyers can own equity in a law firm, for instance), and he isn't an accountant. They also both have adult children and family properties that are intended to go to their respective families, not necessarily children who came along decades later.

There can be many reasons for keeping names and making business arrangements. It doesn't necessarily signal a lack of commitment, just acknowledgment of reality.

yep, the name thing as an argument about the quality of the marriage is a nonstarter.

My wife kept her last name for a number of reasons, starting with the fact that she had built a professional reputation on it (as you noted) and that having a last name starting with "A" means that she gets lead spot on coauthored papers (generally. and that is often more of a joke than a necessity). Go visit any college town and you'd probably be surprised how many strong marriages have hyphenated names (or different names entirely).

Latest posts

Top Bottom