Engel Cooler Bag review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This post will give my first impression of my new Engel cooler bag that arrived today. Let me preface this by stating I do not currently own the Yeti bag, but have looked at them before purchasing this bag. I do own an Engel cooler, my brother the Yeti, and do own a few Yeti mugs. I have been happy with my cooler, especially considering the price point. In regards to the cooler bag, the Engel is half the price of the Yeti Hopper, and falls between the two, 20 and 40 respectively, in size. Price is almost exactly half the Hopper 20, unless you go with the Kryptek or Realtree camo version. I chose the white, with small reservations about staining, over the camo versions because, well, science. Darker colors retain heat more, and this is made to keep things cold. Staining should not be an issue as it does have a TPU coating, so any concerns I had there are gone. My primary use for this was for the ball field, range trips, and day outings to the family pool when I wouldn't want to lug my 65qt cooler out.
One thing I liked about the Engel off the bat was the shoulder straps, no other soft-side bag I found had them. When lugging things down to the beach, or ball fields, the straps will come in handy as I can carry it like a back pack keeping my hands free for whatever stuff my wife decides I need to sherpa out of the parking lot. The straps are ventilated mesh with an insert to give it a little more rigidity. I would have liked to see more durable straps, but as long as these hold up, I won't worry about it. I can understand not going overboard as it's not designed to be carried as a backpack, as they were probably designed for exactly as I intended, short to and from treks, not hikes.
The bag has elastic mesh pockets on either side, with the side opposite of the pack straps containing one large zippered pocket and one slotted pocket. I would have like to see the slotted pocket have a Velcro tab or snap to hold it closed, as it is a large pocket, and I can see it "folding open" with something heavy in it. Moving to the main pockets, yes pockets plural, you'll find YKK zippers for you gear junkies that notice things like that. large paracord pulls with rubber covers give you something to grab onto with wet hands. Both zipper seams are also rubber coated. Online reviews state it will leak if not stood upright, unlike the Yeit, but coated zippers and seams should make it at least water resistant. The bag also has 4 large spiked feet to keep it from falling over, and the bottom of the bag getting torn up.
Getting back to the dual main bags, one has a removable liner, the second slightly smaller does not. Both pockets are insulated, but the smaller is for "dry" goods or foods, the larger for "wet" goods. The smaller pocket can also be used for ice packs, freeing up space in the main compartment while cooling it. The pockets, if not the whole bag is Microban treated, and the main bag liner again, is removable and replaceable, so it can be cleaned, or replaced if it gets torn, moldy or too dirty to clean.
Overall impression is that this is a good design that should serve me well. It will be used outdoors some as designed, and do double duty when the wife wants to go to the pool, or pack a snack bag for the kids (and family) when at the ball fields or dance competition. The TPU coating is not as thick as the Yeti's, so don't be surprised there, but is more comfortable to handle as it's not as stiff or rigid. Plenty of extra storage for speakers, sunglasses, whatever else you may need to carry, as much or more than your generic sling bags, without having to purchase add-ons like the Yeti. Quality zippers and material used through out, and other than a little stitching snag (I know you guys look too) in a non-critical area, the bag seems to be quality built. A little thread glue to make sure it doesn't fray should fix it right up, but it's probably for piece of mind more than anything. It is sold by a Florida company but be aware the tag does say made in China, albeit with better quality materials than most. You can see the thought that Engel, a company that caters to fisherman, put into this bag. D-Rings at 4 corners for lashing down to a boat deck, kayak etc. I compared this heavily against the Yeti, and the little reservations or changes I would like to see were far outweighed by the pro's of the design. I'll test how it does tomorrow at my son's baseball tournament, and it should be a nice mid-90's day, with a heat index of close to a 100, so it couldn't have come at a better time. If there are any questions that weren't addressed, feel free to ask, and I'll answer them best as I can, as well as upload some pictures later.

ETA: Couldn't seem to get the review to break into paragraphs the way I wanted, I apologize.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom