Ever wonder what a 7mm Remington Ultra Mag will do to a deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a 284 Win for out West hunting, shot some of the monster whitetails around Norman and well up close you would have about a 10-12" shot up meat and a pretty good exit hole about 6". My 284 ain't normal as I built it on a long action and throated the chamber. One thing for sure is you don't want to take neck shots! Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted a pic of a yote shot with a .22-250 in the past on this forum. 45 grain HP winchester white box. Totally disembowled the coyote.
I'm too lazy tonight to go through the several thousand pics to find it. It was ugly

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the age of the deer affects it as much as anything. I believe the picture, as I have done close to the same thing on fawn with a 30.06 years ago. I shot a medium sized buck on my first shot, and it was the normal entrance and exit would. There was a fawn there was still hanging around and I needed the meat, so I took the shot. Exit wound on the buck was the size of a pencil, the exit wound on the fawn was the size of a plate. Both deer shot with the same type of bullet, distance, everything else, yet one deer nearly exploded, the other was typical. So to the nay-sayers.... well. It happens, especially with a small deer as posted in the picture.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That deer has been eatin on by coyotes. Not a 7mm mag.

I have shot whitetails with a .375 H&H mag and honestly it leaves about a softball sized exit wound, not rip them in half.

I'm sure with the right angle of entry/exit the devastation on a larger caliber can be much worse but not to that extent. This totally looks like the yotes found that deer.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my Rem 7mm Mag and 175g PSP Core Lokt I've shot ground squirrels, rabbits, deer, hogs and other critters. Only the squirrels and rabits did it do that kind of damage. I shot a doe at about 20' once broadside and it left a silver dollor size exit wound and 3/4 of her right lung was also sticking out that hole. Thats the worst big game damage I have seen from my 7mm. Never had a hit animal go more than 5 feet before hitting the ground with it eithor. I guess if I hit both shoulders it could but I'm not gonna try it to find out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom