Expensive fridges are dying young. Owners are suing, claiming fraud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only latching doors need to be removed. Most fridges and freezers doors made today are held closed by magnets or air pressure when compressor is running.
Hmmm, I put a fridge out by the road and the city tagged it and said the doors need to be taken off. This was three weeks ago. No latches, no locks. Magnetic seal. Was a shame. I put a free sign on it as it still worked fine, just got a bigger shop fridge. Ended up having to call the scrap guy. Everyone that I talked to afterwards assumed it didn't work because the doors were off.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only latching doors need to be removed. Most fridges and freezers doors made today are held closed by magnets or air pressure when compressor is running.
Most are with magnets How much cold air would you be losing if the compressor held the door tight. Don’t know where you live it’s code in okc to remove doors regardless. Municipal code 49-25.

zackmac26

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I had tons of issues with my Samsung fridge, specifically the ice maker. I would need to defrost the thing like once every 6 months cause it would just stop working. My parent’s whirlpool had the wire-harness in the door break from opening/closing the door just wearing it out. Just bad engineering or straight up planned obsolescence.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most refrigerators use R-290, Propane, these days. For refrigerant. It's an excellent refrigerant.
Last I researched, it can only be used in small appliances of a few ounces in the US.
It would be great in residential systems cause it's cheap. Just a very pure propane. But the volume needed for a typical residential system is a hazard. It used to be available on eBay but no longer.
It was a drop in replacement for R22. Actually took less to fill a system.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of fridges. I have one in the garage that used to be in the kitchen. Its freezer gets all my deer meat. Noticed during that ultra cold spell we just had that its freezer temp increased to 28. Way too warm for a freezer. Finally I opened up the garage (detached) yesterday to let it warm up better. Freezer temp dropped back to 0. Guess I’ll need to keep a closer eye on it during cold weather. I have a regular freezer in the garage that didn’t do that. I read that some refrigerator/freezers are built for garage use. I believe it now.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought a new Frigidaire in 2019, it has been great, so far. Wif liked the "looks" of the Samsung.

I asked the salesman about the service history on both. He said they both were at the top of dependability, Frigidaire slightly better. BUT, when the Samsung needed service, it was expensive and PARTS WERE NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to get.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of fridges. I have one in the garage that used to be in the kitchen. Its freezer gets all my deer meat. Noticed during that ultra cold spell we just had that its freezer temp increased to 28. Way too warm for a freezer. Finally I opened up the garage (detached) yesterday to let it warm up better. Freezer temp dropped back to 0. Guess I’ll need to keep a closer eye on it during cold weather. I have a regular freezer in the garage that didn’t do that. I read that some refrigerator/freezers are built for garage use. I believe it now.
The air gets too cold and causes it to start defrosting. I run my shop heater for a while every night during really cold weather to prevent this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom