Expensive fridges are dying young. Owners are suing, claiming fraud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Equipment designed as disposable with designated service lifespans of 10 years or less has been replacing equipment designed to be serviceable indefinitely for two decades plus. It is planned obsolescence. It is perceived as bad design by people who cannot design or manufacture equipment.
These aren't even making it to the end of the warranty period, let alone to the end of its designed service life. That's not planned obsolescence, it's just a terrible design. It's bad enough that Kenmore quit using them.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i needed a frige 20 years ago,, online reviews back then said fridgedaire/ sears Kenmore,, still working good...i do scrap metal and until 2 years ago i scraped plenty of refridgerators,, most of the old ones 20-40 years old,still have some freon in the system,, but all the newer ones have nothing in the lines, no preasure at all,,they are using thinner steel lines ,and very little to paint the steel lines with ,so you get some rust and poof all the Freon leaks out..now the scrap yards wont take refrigerators at all ,because the lines are intact and too much insulation..a few months a go a neighbor had a refrigerator at the curb for big junk day ,and the city picked it up two guys put it into the back of a old style trash truck that has the clamshell type scoop and it just pushed it back into the truck intact lines and all,i wonder how long they will keep doing that,,,these lawsuit people need to add that some LG refrigerators have leaked out freon in the house,causing a major health hazard..

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those Kenmore models were probably made by LG.

We bought a Kenmore, last one K-Mart had in stock, when they closed. $388, still works likes new. I believe it is a Frigidaire. (Looked it before buying, but long time back). I will not buy anything with LG on it.

Never understood those $3k + fridges. Who needs a fridge with Wi-Fi, internet and TV built in?

Always had good service out of Kenmore appliances. Though, the fridge is the only one we now have. All others are Maytag, Whirlpool or Frigidaire. All are 5 years old and so far, trouble free.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
i needed a frige 20 years ago,, online reviews said fridgedaire/ sears Kenmore,, still working good...i do scrap metal and until 2 years ago i scraped plenty of refridgerators,, most of the old ones 20-40 years old,still have some freon in the system,, but all the newer ones have nothing in the lines, no preasure at all,,they are using thinner steel lines ,and very little to paint the steel lines with ,so you get some rust and poof all the Freon leaks out..now the scrap yards wont take refrigerators at all ,because the lines are intact and too much insulation..a few months a go a neighbor had a refrigerator at the curb for big junk day ,and the city picked it up two guys put it into the back of a old style trash truck that has the clamshell type scoop and it just pushed it back into the truck intact lines and all,i wonder how long they will keep doing that,,,these lawsuit people need to add that some LG refrigerators have leaked out freon in the house,causing a major health hazard..
I hope he removed the door.

iceboxes in places accessible to children - Penalty.​

Universal Citation: 21 OK Stat § 21-1208 (2021)
Any person, firm or corporation who abandons or discards, in any place accessible to children, any refrigerator, icebox, or ice chest, of a capacity of one and one-half (1 1/2) cubic feet or more, which has an attached lid or door which may be opened or fastened shut by means of an attached latch, or who, being the owner, lessee, or manager of such place, knowingly permits such abandoned or discarded refrigerator, icebox or ice chest to remain in such condition, shall be deemed negligent as a matter of law and shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be fined not more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or imprisoned not more than one (1) year, or both such fine and imprisonment.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope he removed the door.

iceboxes in places accessible to children - Penalty.​

Universal Citation: 21 OK Stat § 21-1208 (2021)
Any person, firm or corporation who abandons or discards, in any place accessible to children, any refrigerator, icebox, or ice chest, of a capacity of one and one-half (1 1/2) cubic feet or more, which has an attached lid or door which may be opened or fastened shut by means of an attached latch, or who, being the owner, lessee, or manager of such place, knowingly permits such abandoned or discarded refrigerator, icebox or ice chest to remain in such condition, shall be deemed negligent as a matter of law and shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be fined not more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or imprisoned not more than one (1) year, or both such fine and imprisonment.
Required to take the doors off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom