F-15 down in Libya

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like they are safe!

U.S. military officials said that the U.S. F-15 Eagle that crashed was based out of Royal Air Force Lakenheath in the U.K., and was operating out of Aviano Air Base in Italy. U.S. military officials said they didn't think the crash was caused by enemy fire. Britain's Ministry of Defence said it scrambled Sentinel and E3-D reconnaissance planes to help in the search for the pilots.

"Both crew members ejected with minor injuries and are safe," said Vince Crawley, a spokesman for U.S. Africa Command, which oversees the military campaign in Libya. "It is our understanding that the aircraft experienced equipment malfunction," he said

and another

The two crew members on the F-15E fighter jet both ejected, suffering minor injuries.

One was quickly picked up by a US military helicopter. The other is said to be "safe" after being rescued by Libyan rebels.

The US miltary said their forces were in the process of having him recovered.

The crashed plane was discovered by a Telegraph journalist reporting in and around Benghazi, the rebel-held city.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that the US had EOL'd all of their F15's, and that the only active Eagles were flown by foreign countries that bought them from us?

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Air Force still has a bunch of F15 Eagles, stationed all over the world. Probably won't retire em until we get a good amount of F35's operational...or Democrats get there wish and sacrifice national security for other less important crap. Glad to hear our pilots punched and were successfully recovered.

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the USAF still uses an F-15F variant that has the same role as a "Wild Weasel" radar jamming and HARM radar seeking missiles. They are used as "bait" and when enemy radar locks on, a radiation seeking missile destroys the radar site. Sounds like a real dangerous cat and mouse game to me.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the USAF still uses an F-15F variant that has the same role as a "Wild Weasel" radar jamming and HARM radar seeking missiles. They are used as "bait" and when enemy radar locks on, a radiation seeking missile destroys the radar site. Sounds like a real dangerous cat and mouse game to me.

For those real crazy thrill-seeking fellas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom