Fairview Public Schools superintendent possibly responsible for shooting(coyote hunting) woman while she sat in her home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was an older man that live a few miles north of me who had a 4" scar towards the back of the crown of his bald head. He was building fence along the road side when he bent over to pick up some posts. About the time he grabbed the posts heard a "whoosh" and thought something landed on his head. Felt something running down the side of his face and realized something wasn't right. If he would have been standing up he would have taken it right in the chest. The next day it was discovered that there were some guys pushing coyotes out of draws about a mile away.
I heard that same story growing up. I forget, was it J.C. Bowen?

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magic like the JFK bullet?
Sounds terrible for the poor lady.
According to OP's first news link the sheriff said
"We did discover that a woman had been shot. The bullet penetrated her left arm, through her left breast and then into her right breast"
So I guess innie and outie wounds in left arm, innie and outie wounds in left breast and innie wound in right breast.
Hope the lady recovers.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems odd that removal would be risky based on the injury description.
The final resting place of the projectile may be inside the rib cage somewhere.

The article says it was a rifle and the distance was 1/4 mile.

Typically rifle round 2500 ft/sec to 3200. Probably on the higher side in open flat country.

1/4 mile = 1320 feet (440 yards), but the distance is not very precise.
440 yards out is well within what a rifle shooter in flat country should have been thinking about when judging if the shot was safe.

It takes a rifle about 1/2 second to cover the distance.

Acceleration from gravity = 32.2 ft per second
Depending on speed and distance a reasonable first estimate would be 2 to 5 feet of drop for a level shot. With a varmint round, probably on the low side of the estimate.

So it's in the range of possible from the reported information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom