Falling Projectiles Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember, the world record for survived freefall by a human being is something like 35,000 feet. A lady in a plane blown up by terrorists landed in the roof of a church, I think, and survived. Somewhere in Germany or eastern Europe or something. Back in the 70s? I don't remember, but it's a pretty incredible story, if you think about it. I'm just too lazy to look it up right now. lol

This reminded me of that skydiver who jumped out of a balloon from some skabillion-thousand feet and the air was so thin that he exceeded the speed of sound before the air gradually became dense enough to start slowing him down.

Woody

EDIT:

Here is a Youtube of the event.

Last edited:

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some years back i had a leak over my attached garage. On inspecting the roof I found a 9 mm bullet lodged in the deck. There was also an officer at the PD I was a member of who with other officers were discharging firearms into the air while imbibing. A bullet fell back and struck him in the head penetrating his skull. He survived but was never really right after (not that he really was before). Talk about winning the lottery? I'm not really sure the difference in weight will have much to do with the velocity.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but as I see it, if you shoot a bullet straight up into the air, it’s going to get to a point where it’s no longer propelled and then falls back to earth under its own weight.

An interesting test would be to take bullets of different weights to a similar height and drop them. How to measure the force of the impact? I have no idea.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Most of the physics examples of free fall and motion that you find take place in a vacuum, so not real world results. A bullet from a free fall at it's maximum height in the sky, meets air resistance the entire way down, just as it did going up but the falling bullet will never reach the same velocity it did when it left the barrel. Enough to kill you if struck in the head while standing outside yes, while inside the house??? Only if the bullet has enough mass to penetrate the roof, how much is enough mass, I don't know, many variables. If you're in your house and are killed by a falling projectile of any kind, it was simply your time to depart this Earth lol.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Some years back i had a leak over my attached garage. On inspecting the roof I found a 9 mm bullet lodged in the deck. There was also an officer at the PD I was a member of who with other officers were discharging firearms into the air while imbibing. A bullet fell back and struck him in the head penetrating his skull. He survived but was never really right after (not that he really was before). Talk about winning the lottery? I'm not really sure the difference in weight will have much to do with the velocity.

Was the 9mm bullet point down or had it tumbled?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the physics examples of free fall and motion that you find take place in a vacuum, so not real world results. A bullet from a free fall at it's maximum height in the sky, meets air resistance the entire way down, just as it did going up but the falling bullet will never reach the same velocity it did when it left the barrel. Enough to kill you if struck in the head while standing outside yes, while inside the house??? Only if the bullet has enough mass to penetrate the roof, how much is enough mass, I don't know, many variables. If you're in your house and are killed by a falling projectile of any kind, it was simply your time to depart this Earth lol.

See - that was my thinking. Think dropping a ping pong ball, and a ball of lead the same size, from the same height. Aerodynamics are a wash, but the speed and impact would be determined by the difference in mass.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure Mythbusters did the science and Busted the myth of the falling bullet. It's on YouTube.

All the same, if a bullet is still fallowing trajectory on a very high arc, that will still kill a person... but at that point, it's not yet a falling bullet.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See - that was my thinking. Think dropping a ping pong ball, and a ball of lead the same size, from the same height. Aerodynamics are a wash, but the speed and impact would be determined by the difference in mass.

Apollo 15 proved that Galileo was correct, a hammer and a feather will fall at the same speed in a vacuum. That is, all objects released together fall at the same rate regardless of mass

Latest posts

Top Bottom