Falling Projectiles Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Let's test it out. Grab a family member, a ladder, a marble and a bowling ball. Have the family member climb the ladder to whatever height you wish. In the right hand they'll hold the marble, in the left hand the bowling ball..................place yourself under whichever object you choose for them to drop on your melon, and after you make your decision, explain your decision and whether or not mass matters outside of or inside of a vacuum :) :)
Force and momentum are not pretend, and a vacuum doesn't eliminate the force of gravity due to mass. F=ma take away the mass and you have no force, M=mv take away the mass and you have no momentum. So a falling .22 cal bullet has way less chance of doing the same damage to a roof as a .50 cal bullet falling from the same height, and we also must assume both shot straight up and both bullets stop at the apex before falling back to Earth. Both shot at a 45* would be different of course, as the only time they had zero velocity was before the trigger was pulled, and they didn't tumble before returning to the Earth.

As I recall it was more sideways base down.
Thanks I was curious as to how it landed.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MythBusters have done this experiment.
I don't remember the name of the episode, but they went to the desert & fired pistol bullets into the air & had sensors or something around to list for the impact on the ground.
They never found any of the rifle bullets, (much more range & rotation of the earth carried the bullets too far away from them.)
So they figured out what the terminal velocity was & dropped the rifle bullets from a height that let the bullets reach their terminal velocity. & they took all the readings & measurements & everything.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember, the world record for survived freefall by a human being is something like 35,000 feet. A lady in a plane blown up by terrorists landed in the roof of a church, I think, and survived. Somewhere in Germany or eastern Europe or something. Back in the 70s? I don't remember, but it's a pretty incredible story, if you think about it. I'm just too lazy to look it up right now. lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was the 9mm bullet point down or had it tumbled?

The bullet will likely fall base first if shot vertically. The spin imparted by the rifling will be spent and gravity will take over with the heavy part of the bullet in the lead while returning to earth.
The same phenomenon occurs with FMJ bullets entering a body, hitting bone, losing its balance then yawing to go base first which is the heaviest. Lots of videos in gel to back that up.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a woman on the news a few years ago where her bra stopped a celebratory gun shot projectile on new years eve. I cant find the story online but there are several that are similar in nature.

Latest posts

Top Bottom