Federal "9ms" Hi Shok

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard many people talk bad about this particular load. It is currently my carry load. It is 147gr JHP. I have fired over 300 rounds with not one problem. It feeds smooth and is very accurate. I don't see why so many people think this is such a inferior load. I have also heard people say it is from the 80's or early 90's. Well just the other day I thought I would write ATK ( federal's law enforcement side) and ask them about this particular load. Here is the email that I got:

I have attached a spec data sheet about this ammunition. The expansion will be nearly identical to our Hydro shok rounds, as it is almost the same bullet minus the center post. This ammunition is available to both general public and law enforcement and is still a current item. It will work great for self-defense as this was the original design. The only way to know the age of the ammunition would be if you gave me the LOT number of the box, an ink stamp on the back or inside flaps. Let us know if you have any further question and we would be more than willing to help.

Federal Cartridge

I sent him another email with the lot number and this is the response I got:

That lot number was produced in the first part of this year 2013. You are correct with the testing results going to be pretty much the same as Hydro Shok and the bullet is design to mushroom.
Federal Cartridge

Although I know this is an earlier design I am completely comfortable carrying this in my Glock 19. I have heard so many people say that the 147gr load will not work in a 9mm but that is a crock. It is widely available and for a good price so that is what I will continue to carry until something better is available for a good price. What are you guys' thoughts on this particular load and have you ever used or carried it yourselves? I also checked the ATK website and it shows a ballistics test with gellatin, heavy clothing, wallboard, steel, and glass. It is of the hydro shok bullet but as the guy said it is basically the same design but without the center post. And I think that the hydro shok has a nickel case. But even the case is the same but mine is brass instead of the nickel.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry Hornady Critical Defense and in a thread on a different forum people were saying CD is crap and I should switch to Fed HS. 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. Everyone will have their pet SD load that they like more because it is better at XYZ and they think that if they found themselves in a SD situation XYZ would be important to them.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I. Used to carry hydro shocks but switched over to critical defense when I moved to Oklahoma. Never had a problem with the hydro shock, it never jammed in any of my pistols. Only reason I switched to CD is because it was something new. I haved switched to Winchester pdx1 ammo now. CD ammo is a nice round with less recoil than most of what I've shot, barrier penetration is its weakness. I did a unintentional barrier penetration test on my medicine cabinet several years ago with the 9mm. It broke through the glass just fine, but didn't make it through the back of medicine cabinet which was made of a thin metal sheet. It did punch a whole in the dry wall behind the metal sheet, which I noticed after removing the medicine cabinet. The bullet was in pieces, jacket separated, I even found the little red plug. Either way I think federal makes good ammo, and I don't think you can go wrong with the ammo you are using.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I. Used to carry hydro shocks but switched over to critical defense when I moved to Oklahoma. Never had a problem with the hydro shock, it never jammed in any of my pistols. Only reason I switched to CD is because it was something new. I haved switched to Winchester pdx1 ammo now. CD ammo is a nice round with less recoil than most of what I've shot, barrier penetration is its weakness. I did a unintentional barrier penetration test on my medicine cabinet several years ago with the 9mm. It broke through the glass just fine, but didn't make it through the back of medicine cabinet which was made of a thin metal sheet. It did punch a whole in the dry wall behind the metal sheet, which I noticed after removing the medicine cabinet. The bullet was in pieces, jacket separated, I even found the little red plug. Either way I think federal makes good ammo, and I don't think you can go wrong with the ammo you are using.
Where in the world do you get the pdx1's from? Are they 9mm? I have been trying to find them for months. Not off of armslist neither. And my other carry load is the CD. It is nice shootin.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where in the world do you get the pdx1's from? Are they 9mm? I have been trying to find them for months. Not off of armslist neither. And my other carry load is the CD. It is nice shootin.

I bought most of my pdx1 ammo at walmart, some at the LGS, this was before last December. I have 380, 9, 40, 45, 12ga. In pdx1, and critical defense. I prefer CD 12ga over pdx1. Heck I have most of those calibers I corbon powerball also. And critical duty. Im starting on DRT ammo.....lol. I'm a ammo hoard. O yeah, I have all those in zombie ammo too!

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a good one. I've seen the CD .45ACP penetrate through a heavy duty wood front door and then two walls acorss a room before it came to rest after cracking but not penetrating built in clost shelves.

This proves 45acp is superior to 9mm...lol

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What kind of medicine cabinet? :)

This proves 45acp is superior to 9mm...lol

I think we need to try the .45 on a duplicate medicine cabinet before we draw that conclusion.

And I think if you don't have pictures, it didn't happen. :)

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife does not know this happened. Family was in India and left me here alone.
IMG167-1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom