Federal government releases long-awaited health reform rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed in one of the related articles about this that subsidies from the government will be available to help pay for the plans. Might as well go for
the gold and let uncle sucker pay subsidy and get insurance for free. :laugh6:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“Insurers will not be able to charge someone more just because she is sick or because she used to be sick,” Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told reporters on a conference call.

That's the most absurd part of this whole issue. Insurance is about risk management. People who are sick or have a history of being sick, are a higher risk for costing the insurance company money. Yet they can't charge that person more for that risk than they charge me, who rarely goes to the doctor. That means I will be forced to cover the sick person's cheaper premium through higher premiums for me (because the insurance company isn't going to just eat the cost).

That's like going to a restaurant and charging every customer the same tab, whether they ordered a glass of water or steak and lobster.

We should be able to charge them more. That will teach those cancer people to stop choosing cancer.

ISFast

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that this year it really messed with my companies health insurance and we have had to go through all kinds of hoops to keep it without getting charged more. Nothing more than BS!!!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
does your company buy insurance from the state exchange?

I do not think the state exchange is in place yet, and probably will not be until the fed sets it up.

Many states are choosing to not go along with setting up an exchange since all of the rules and regulations have not come out yet and it just adds more expense the state has to pay for. They are letting the feds do it, carry the cost and if it is not done right, it is the feds problem.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, say what you want but this is all FUBAR'ed up. Sad thing is that those who need help will not be able to afford it anyway. As to the state leaving it up to the Fed's well that is not a real smart deal either. Oh well, I was one who paid the ins, taxes, work and rarely went to the doctor but now I do have a reason to go and I am thankful I have ins. through my job----not the best but at least I can go and get treatments. Might as well face it, medical reform was going to happen one way or another due to doctors/insurance/gov't not getting it worked out equitable for all (especially the people). It is a shame but when gov't gets tied into something it generally ends up costing more than if they would have stayed out of it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the states set them up and it is wrong it will be the states fault even if the fed has not given them all the info yet, plus the expense of setting them up then having to go back and change whatever is wrong. Better to let the feds do it and for the fed to pay the cost. Many states are doing this because they know it is going to be a fuster cluck right from the start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom