FFL Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it is typical.

I believe they would like to show where thee gun came from in case it shows up stolen. They have to log the gun in.

An FFL will be along shortly, but the one I use always request the DL from the guy the seller

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect to have an FFL to transfer a gun with no clue where it came from. I am interested with the what law says about this though.

Last edited:

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect to have an FFL to transfer a gun with know clue where it came from. I am interested with the what law says about this though.

If I remember correctly (I'm still sleepy, so I'm not looking it up at the moment), all you really have to have to log the gun into your books is who they say they are. I don't think there's actually any requirement to verify any of it. There's also no requirement to even see the FFL of someone shipping you a gun, even if they have one. The only requirement there is that they see yours before they ship it to you.

But as a CYA move, getting a copy of a driver's license if you're getting a gun from a non-FFL seemed like a good idea.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a side note, there's also a grey area where, if you've been charged with a felony, you can't buy a gun, but you can still keep the ones you have until you've been convicted. Especially if you're pretty sure you'll be convicted, this is the time to get rid of them. It's perfectly legal to buy a gun from someone in that legal state, you just can't give it back to them if there's something wrong. This came up once in discussion of doing a consignment for someone.

I thought this might help illustrate that the laws are almost all concerned with the receiving end of a firearm transaction and very few care about where it came from.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
its so the ffl doesn't get put out of business when the atf comes and inspects his books. 50- john smiths at 123 main st just won't cut it. to prove he's not dealing in stolen guns.
used to be a place in the bound book for license number.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its so the ffl doesn't get put out of business when the atf comes and inspects his books. 50- john smiths at 123 main st just won't cut it. to prove he's not dealing in stolen guns.
used to be a place in the bound book for license number.

I've only ever seen them with a place for FFL number, not driver's license number. The FFL number can be used instead of an adress.

But that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. There is no "official" bound book, just a list of what it has to contain. There's nothing saying you can't add extra fields.

dvPete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not a legal requirement, but protection for the FFL. I require drivers license from all non-FFL's. It just helps me verify that the transaction is legit should anyone ask.

Latest posts

Top Bottom