first confirmed pig in our area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hogs have been "close" to you for years in that area depending on the definition of close. Highway 51/74 junction have had infestations for going on 10 years or better.

a buddy has 120 near marshall. we've heard about them east of 74. been hunting that land for about 6 years and haven't seen any....yet. matter of time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish that the wildlife department would allow the use of night vision to aid in getting rid of them

How is it that they don't? Pigs aren't a game animal. Is it prohibited in the general regs for all hunting? Last warden I talked to hated the things. I'm sure he'd have no problem giving you the word for night hunting and NV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's legal for landowners who obtain a predation permit from their local GW.

This here. Game wardens differ on handling this. I have had a warden come out, inspect evidence of problem hogs, and take down names of those that will be spotlighting before writing a permit. And then I've had them just say "yeah, get after them" over the phone. Just depends on who you're talking to and their mood I reckon. If you just "have seen hogs", you may be less likely to get a depredation permit, but if they are legitimately causing a problem, I doubt you will be refused.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Right. The trick is you need to have a legitimate problem first. which kinda sucks, that means you have to fix the problem after it's happened instead of heading it off ahead of time.

garry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have land in the five finger area of Kaw Lake and we have had pigs up here for years. I have seen a group of 13 about a year ago and not many since. I am lucky they move all the time and haven't done any damage on me

Torrin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to hear this , my farm isn't far from you, west of Guthrie off highway 33, less than a mile from the Cimarron, haven't seen a pig on my place yet, but my other farm east of I 35 in Logan County is covered up with them, figured it was just a matter of time

We are west of Guthrie before Langston off 33 and they are all around. They keep on the move and so far they haven't gotten bad yet. Everyone I know in a few mile radius has either shot some or trapped some or had someone do it for them for Years!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have land in the five finger area of Kaw Lake and we have had pigs up here for years. I have seen a group of 13 about a year ago and not many since. I am lucky they move all the time and haven't done any damage on me

Five fingers is a fine area to bowfish some really big gar on a still, 105 degree July afternoon :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom