First time bringing the ar out and had some issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So first time I shot the ar and I had some problems.

First issue. I was getting some ftf but I put a little more oil on the bolt and that cleared it up pretty much.

Second issue. I got a few light primer strikes about every 5-6 rounds.

They both kind of cleared up towards the end of the day, the last mag I was able to run perfectly so i may chalk it up to the rifle being brand new and never shot.

I was loading the mags up with 10 rounds of Winchester 5.56 and I only shot 60 rounds.

Is there any ideas on this or does this sound some what normal??

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Feeding, and not they were not firing. I think it was dry cause I sprayed rem oil on a patch and wiped the bolt and charging handle.

After I put oil in it it it started working better, I'm thinking the firing pin may have been dry also cause wetting it fixed everything on the last 10 rounds.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea my father in law brought some hoppes 9 oil and a few drops worked wonders, after I put drops of that in there it steadily got better and better. I'm thinking the oils worked itself in. I'm gonna buy some clp tonight and use that veer away from my hoppes and rem oil.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever I fire a build for the first time, I practically bathe the bolt carrier group in lube. Like, dripping everywhere. Be it clp, remoil, wd-40 or 10w30. And I also use the cheapest, nastiest, steel cased ammo( well, for 5.56 anyway). About $60 will run 200 rounds of Tula or monarch through it in one sitting. Never encountered any problems, and they cycle like butter.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never go in dry the first time. I soak my bcg in mobil1 5w30 (personal preference) then even wet the feed ramps and inside upper before final assembly. Maybe overkill but its fixed every jam for everyone else who brings me their problem child

Latest posts

Top Bottom