A Question For The Watch Folks Here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The next project on my bench is a 1968 Seiko Sea Lion M330. The dial and hands are original and in stunning condition, the movement is in pretty decent shape, but there is some brass peeling away from the lower arbor port in the main plate, so a jewel upgrade is in order. My question is about the case. This watch was certainly loved and worn a lot, and it shows it's age. There are some significant scratches. It does not appear to have been refinished in it's lifetime. I'm on the fence about doing any case work, but leaning towards giving it a go. If this watch your personal watch, would you rather keep the case in it's original (albeit poor) condition, or sand it down and refinish it?

vlcsnap-2023-10-15-00h25m40s187.png

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my question is would it be profitable to spend the time, effort, and money to refinish the case? This answer would be my answer.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless all of the blemishes can be removed, I'd leave it as-is. Nothing looks worse than dings and scratches that are only partially removed and have an unnatural looking buffed appearance. There's metal loss on some of those edges, so it's never going to look like new again. Honest wear looks better, especially on a case of that age IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom