Fish fry and pool party, my place

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retired people should be throttled on the number of times they can post on this forum. This is not fair. That's a nice haul. I've never been able to catch crappie except when they're on the bank.

OKjoe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Now that is some good eatin right there (red ear would be my second choice). Guess I need to get my gear together and give it shot...they usually don't start spawning in my favorite strip pit till early March but this has been a warm year. Thanks for the info!

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i818.photobucket.com_albums_zz106_Rafterman1_Movies_20Music_20and_20TV_phil_dunphy_thumbsup.gif

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Retired people should be throttled on the number of times they can post on this forum. This is not fair. That's a nice haul. I've never been able to catch crappie except when they're on the bank.

Interesting you mention that, the only time I've caught winter crappie has been with old guys......:rolleyes2

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roosta - You just have to GO before the spawn, use your electronics, and fish deep. Quit shootin rabbits an pickin up sheds.

Add in duck hunting. I can't break myself away from that and scouting for next deer season for at least the next few weeks. Would really appreciate a good snow that sticks for a few days...

Congrats on what looks like a great day, Dennis!

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang nice catch! My dad and I fished Ft Gibson lake last Sunday and got nary a bite. I've been looking for them back in coves and near shallower structure, though. Is that wrong? What sort of structure are they looking for if they're down deeper like that?

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
congrats!!! hah.. i see a twofer! Sam Shoun......try the under the little bridge 100 yards south of the entrance to Greenleaf State park und3er the highway. i have had good luck there through the years. slid a flat bottom out of the back of the truck and broke ice by the bank with an oar... twice. fish all the way to the bottom and then up about a foot.

I'm waiting for the gar to start running/stacking in front of the damns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang nice catch! My dad and I fished Ft Gibson lake last Sunday and got nary a bite. I've been looking for them back in coves and near shallower structure, though. Is that wrong? What sort of structure are they looking for if they're down deeper like that?

Right now crappie are concentrated in deep water around structure. 15-25' deep.
I go along rip rap areas and look for brush piles, submerged trees, or rock piles.
If nothing there, I'll go out in the main lake and look for old creek channels that may have some trees or brush along the edge.
Good electronics is key to finding these.
Having fished these lakes for so many years, I know where all the structure is and just motor out to it.
I've put this pic up before, but this is what your looking for. All those specks are crappie suspended around the tree.
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_01_20_db53e4f4542f030f699d5cfef5f5e826.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom