Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool mix of fish. I didn’t realize there was walleye in OK.

Thanks. It’s been fun exploring the local ponds and taking in the new scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They stock all kinds of fish across the state. Some of it makes no sense to me but in the end its about making money for the wildlife department.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/sites/default/files/2019 Annual Public Stocking Report.pdf

10 million Walleye and Saugeye makes me shake my head.

upload_2020-5-3_12-8-18.png

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blake that 10 million walleye and saugeye were primarir fry, so they have a pretty low percentage of survival. Many of the other fish stocked are fingerlings and even some brood size fish. Fingerlings have a higher survival rate and brood stock an even higher rate so in general a higher number of fry are stocked than fingerling and brood stock because of the survival rate. The money spent producing and releasing fry is significantly lower than raising fish to fingerling size before release.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blake that 10 million walleye and saugeye were primarir fry, so they have a pretty low percentage of survival. Many of the other fish stocked are fingerlings and even some brood size fish. Fingerlings have a higher survival rate and brood stock an even higher rate so in general a higher number of fry are stocked than fingerling and brood stock because of the survival rate. The money spent producing and releasing fry is significantly lower than raising fish to fingerling size before release.
Great points! Some are stocked to help existing fisheries combat stunted crappie and other specie as well. Some of the smaller lakes get too many crappie in them so they won't grow, but the introduction of Saugeye is used to reduce the smaller stunted crappie that gives the larger ones more forage and the ability to grow. One small lake I fish had this happen years ago. The crappie were at 8" or less. Nobody kept them and they just kept reproducing. ODW introduced saugeye and now there are 14" crappie to be caught.
My biggest Walleye on Kaw Lake was 3 oz under the lake record. Introduction of walleye is just another specie that people can fish for and they are danged fine eating!

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Horseshoe Bend has been on fire for hybrid bass. Like 60-fish days levels of on fire.

The Arkansas should be picking up with less water moving now, maybe increasing activity on both ends of Overholser, and around Hefner hopefully.

Latest posts

Top Bottom