Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve spent basically all my adult life trying to keep my head above water financially and haven’t seriously fished in probably 30 years, but I’ve decided this will be the year to try to find out what’s swimming in the Salt Fork. My Dad fished it and caught some nice catfish over the years, but that was before it went dry in ‘11-‘13. His cancer came back right after that and never got to fish again. I know there’s some big carp in it now, so I hope there are some cats too.:thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lake was hot today! Caught largemouth and Kentucky bass, white and black crappie, saugeye, channel cat, green sunfish, bluegill and a couple drum all on crappie jigs.
Dropped the channel cat, some small bass and perch off at a buddies stock tank for his 7 year old that likes to fish in that tank when dad can’t take him.

aee2dddf274870e6ff74504da9a06e2c.jpg

It was 9:30 before getting home so the rest are on ice. Have no idea how many there are. Get a count tomorrow when they get filleted.

035ac9e8799b41dea63e3ca4b6a91f49.jpg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lake was hot today! Caught largemouth and Kentucky bass, white and black crappie, saugeye, channel cat, green sunfish, bluegill and a couple drum all on crappie jigs.
Dropped the channel cat, some small bass and perch off at a buddies stock tank for his 7 year old that likes to fish in that tank when dad can’t take him.

It was 9:30 before getting home so the rest are on ice. Have no idea how many there are. Get a count tomorrow when they get filleted.

Nice catch, and good on you for thinking about that 7-year-old!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve spent basically all my adult life trying to keep my head above water financially and haven’t seriously fished in probably 30 years, but I’ve decided this will be the year to try to find out what’s swimming in the Salt Fork. My Dad fished it and caught some nice catfish over the years, but that was before it went dry in ‘11-‘13. His cancer came back right after that and never got to fish again. I know there’s some big carp in it now, so I hope there are some cats too.:thumb:

Any fish you can find at Kaw and Keystone you catch along the river below SP. Above is pretty much catfish, gar and carp and an occasional saugeye.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any fish you can find at Kaw and Keystone you catch along the river below SP. Above is pretty much catfish, gar and carp and an occasional saugeye.

I know there was a huge fish kill at Salt Plains lake during the drought years when it got so low. Used to be lots of sand bass in the lake before that. The feds that ran the refuge were putting in artificial spawning beds for them in the Salt Fork and Sand Creek.

Latest posts

Top Bottom