Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know or care what Cooper said.
I have cleared houses at night (as we are prone to conducting raids at night), and the idea of NOT having a light on a gun you intend to use at all hours is monumentally stupid.
Gun
Sling
Optic
Light
This is the absolute bare minimum. All else is just icing on the cake but a gun without a light is…it’s retarded.
Being an officer you have no restrictions muzzle covering anyone. As a civilian, I have restrictions. The problem is, I was trained as an officer so the muzzle covering comes naturally. Now the issue I have was there were no weapon-mounted lights for us unless you duct taped a Kel Light to your gun. I carry a Surefire 6P, The same Surefire I had on duty.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know or care what Cooper said.
I have cleared houses at night (as we are prone to conducting raids at night), and the idea of NOT having a light on a gun you intend to use at all hours is monumentally stupid.
Gun
Sling
Optic
Light
This is the absolute bare minimum. All else is just icing on the cake but a gun without a light is…it’s retarded.
Well, I see the need for the gun, optic, and light . . . but me be thinkin' the sling thing is a bit much 😏

1672441203432.png

:ooh2:

Last edited:

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now what about a less-than-lethal weapon mounted light? Imagine like a Protac, QD mounted to a can of bear spray. That sounds like the bomb diggity! You can switch to lethal and duel wield as necessary.
I'd call it the spicy Mozambique.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over on the Firearms Chat forum there is thread titled, “What is your current bedside "go time" pick?”.

I’m seeing lots of guns pictured with or described as having flashlights attached. Rather than jack the thread I thought I would come to the Self Defense & Handgun Carry forum with a question.

Admittedly, the last time I gave much thought to this issue was in the 1990’s. At that time, I was convinced that flashlights on guns were ill advised. It was reported that folks in high stress situations couldn’t seem to resist using the flashlight as a flashlight and therefore muzzle covering all kinds of things and possibly people they did not intend to shoot.

What is the current thinking regarding flashlights on guns, especially vis-à-vis Cooper’s second rule of gun safety?
I quit listening to the traditional firearm safety rules a long time ago.
1. Treat your weapon or firearm as it is whatever the condition, know the condition in full.
2. If youre not willing to destroy it, dont point it there.
3. Dont touch the trigger until youre committed to the shot.
These rules scare people who havent ran around with loaded guns while shooting and moving and maneuvering in buildings, boats, mountains, open ground, etc.,

Id rather have a light on a gun than not because you probably shouldnt be firing a gun into the dark in the United States. To those who argue “it gives away my position”, say that in court and I bet they hit you with “so you were ambushing said person and was fully conscious that you werent in danger?”. No matter what, if you decide to face a threat at home, at some point by firing a shot, making a verbal command, or shining a light, cracking a door open, turning a knob, stumbling over that random thing someone left on the floor, etc., has the potential or outright will, give away your position and put you at risk of getting shot, punched, stabbed, whatever.

Lights are on all of my go to rifles and pistols just in the event I have a low light problem that needs identification. As with all things, Id rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! My opinion of course

Latest posts

Top Bottom