Food crops?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what kind of crops you hunt on. Most of my life I've only had wheat to hunt on. A couple of years ago the farmer on my land planted milo and that has been one good attractant. For deer and HOGS! This year he has already cut the milo and planted wheat which I am excited about. Should be a good mix with the milo on the ground and the wheat coming up. Plus them hogs can't hide from me in the milo!

On another section of land he has planted soy beans. I have never hunted on these beans so I don't know what to expect. He told me that he doesn't think the deer like them as much and hasn't seen as many deer as he normaly does. Do any of you hunt on soy beans and what is your experience if so?

The last section of land he has planted cotton on and well, I don't think that is going to taste very good!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of our leases is a mix of soybean and milo fields. Last year a couple of the best bucks I saw were feeding on the tops of the soy bean stalks. It seemed like there were always deer moving through the soybeans.

Reaction score
What are these 'crops' you speak of? Try hunting where there's nothing but trees & acorns everywhere. Try patterning when bedding areas are everywhere, and feeding areas are everywhere. It's fun! 5x harder than hunting by crops - I know cause I've done both. Challenging but frustrating at times.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are these 'crops' you speak of? Try hunting where there's nothing but trees & acorns everywhere. Try patterning when bedding areas are everywhere, and feeding areas are everywhere. It's fun! 5x harder than hunting by crops - I know cause I've done both. Challenging but frustrating at times.

I've often said I'd like to see these Outdoor Channel "hunting experts" hunt in the conditions you describe and see how successful they are!

You are right, it is TOUGH when a deer can get up from its bed, fill its stomach within 20 yards and lay back down!

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my stand, I could harvest a deer on sorghum, alfalfa, wheat or a 5 acre corner of soybeans. Also, my corn feeder is in the sorghum field.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have beans and wheat planted. The beans were put in early and deer have eaten them down to the stalks but they still made beans. The Wheat was planted on Labor Day and the deer are starting to work in that spot pretty hard. We also have clover and turnips planted the clover is amazing stuff it is in the second year and looked dead in August but after some rain it shot up and the deer are back on it. We also have lots of acorns and some thickets that deer bed in. I hunt the trails the deer use to get from food to bed, but my uncle has had good results hunting the clover and wheat. I want to put in some alfalfa for late season, one year we had that planted in a corner of an old saltwater kill and the deer were thick in that spot but it was in Dec.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Well maybe I should offer up a little more info about the layout of the land I hunt. I hunt in Custer county. I don't know if you are familiar or not with this area but it is pretty much wide open with drawls and very few trees, and the trees that I do have are not big enough for tree stands.

So imagine a square mile of 80% crops and the other 20% drawls and grass. It's pretty nice when you are hunting being able to see so far and yeah when rifle hunting if you feel comfortable shooting long distances then you have more chances. But if you are bow hunting, good luck. Most of my deer don't have set paths that they take every day because everywhere they look there's pretty much food for them and there are quite a few ponds also. So they pretty much wonder where they will.

The environment and conditions in which you have described also appeal to me. I love bow hunting in the woods and listening to leaves crunch and my heart rate speeding up and settleing down everytime I hear something. I just don't have that oppurtunity to hunt there everyweekend. But that is the way I was brought up hunting.

So anyway, I just wanted to get the picture out of your head of me sitting in a tree next to a 1 acre food plot waiting on the deer to wake up and come get their last dinner!

Latest posts

Top Bottom