Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Good day all! I have another question that seems to get mixed answers as I know there are many variables that factor into the decision. Is Oklahoma generally too hot/dry in the summer months to maintain a PERENNIAL food plot? Our property is in Okfuskee county which has averaged 43" of annual rainfall over the last 20 years. Monthly amounts are approx.: 2", 2.1, 3.2, 4.3, 5.9, 5, 3.5, 3.4, 4.6, 3.8, 3 and 2.5". It seems that most plant ANNUAL plots instead so want to better understand why(other than more tractor time). :)

The goal/reasoning for a perennial plot would be to reduce or eliminate mowing while our focus would be on just spraying Clethodim twice a year. The plot would contain ladino clover, medium red clover and chicory. I realize we'll have to rotate crops after a few years but that's down the road some.

One of the downsides I see to a perennial plot is the inability to add a nurse crop like wheat, oats, rye UNTIL we have the unwanted grasses under control(Johnson primarily) and some weeds since they're part of the grass family and will perish using Clethodim. If our plot of clovers and chicory are winning the fight over the grasses, I'd be fine planting a fall nurse crop knowing we'd likely need to mow in summer after it's died back.
It's not so much the rainfall or lack of on clover and alfalfa plots, it's lack of humidity and high winds. Alfalfa will still make it for the most part though even in an area of 30" per year, low humidity and high winds. Clover here doesn't stand a chance. I'm planting alfalfa this fall on one plot. Thousands of acres of dryland alfalfa around here along with some irrigated but not much.

Alfalfa and clover should have no problems in Okfuskee county, you're far enough east. Lots of humidity and not much wind.

In the pic below, the area in red will usually be a fourth or a third as tall as the rest because the wind constantly blows through the opening in the trees on the south end of the plot.

Screenshot_20240522_170112_Maps.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a great clover plot for three of the 30 years I've tried to put in perineal plots.
NW Oklahoma is just too dry, and I quit trying.
Okie is putting in Alfalfa which does do good out here and he is not far from us.
Thought about it and it's a no.
My biggest wooded area is 22 acres that holds a couple of does and their fawns which is where I have a 1 acre food plot.
Lord knows, I've tried every mix of the "most incredible food plot" seed out there, with no more success than just plain wheat. It could certainly be my location for that happening.
The rest of the farms are along wind rows of hedge, etc that are travel zones for bucks when on the prowl at rut.
No problem taking deer off of any of them, but the farmer puts most of the annual plots in for me.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all! I have another question that seems to get mixed answers as I know there are many variables that factor into the decision. Is Oklahoma generally too hot/dry in the summer months to maintain a PERENNIAL food plot? Our property is in Okfuskee county which has averaged 43" of annual rainfall over the last 20 years. Monthly amounts are approx.: 2", 2.1, 3.2, 4.3, 5.9, 5, 3.5, 3.4, 4.6, 3.8, 3 and 2.5". It seems that most plant ANNUAL plots instead so want to better understand why(other than more tractor time). :)

The goal/reasoning for a perennial plot would be to reduce or eliminate mowing while our focus would be on just spraying Clethodim twice a year. The plot would contain ladino clover, medium red clover and chicory. I realize we'll have to rotate crops after a few years but that's down the road some.

One of the downsides I see to a perennial plot is the inability to add a nurse crop like wheat, oats, rye UNTIL we have the unwanted grasses under control(Johnson primarily) and some weeds since they're part of the grass family and will perish using Clethodim. If our plot of clovers and chicory are winning the fight over the grasses, I'd be fine planting a fall nurse crop knowing we'd likely need to mow in summer after it's died back.

Here is my newest clover plot. Hard to believe that I put this in just last October. I took a lot of care in preparing this plot though. Started killing weeds and brush 3 springs ago. Planted wheat on it the first fall, then sprayed to kill it and everything else that next summer. Then sprayed with roundup again and put down lime and fertilizer before planting wheat, turnips, winter peas and ladino clover last fall. Sprayed Clethodim at the end of March, then mowed everything mid-April. Got here today and was pleased to see how lush the clover is.
IMG_0182.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my newest clover plot. Hard to believe that I put this in just last October. I took a lot of care in preparing this plot though. Started killing weeds and brush 3 springs ago. Planted wheat on it the first fall, then sprayed to kill it and everything else that next summer. Then sprayed with roundup again and put down lime and fertilizer before planting wheat, turnips, winter peas and ladino clover last fall. Sprayed Clethodim at the end of March, then mowed everything mid-April. Got here today and was pleased to see how lush the clover is.
View attachment 480872
Lots of seed heads for self reproduction as well! Great looking plot!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I employed a lot of the instruction you gave me. I very much appreciate you turning me onto ladino clover 4 years ago.
I keep trying clover, but NW Ok is just too dry. Your plot looks awesome.
Depending on what rain we get, I'm headed to mine to eliminate the Johnson grass that has somehow shown up.
Sprayed it last year, but it had already gone to head, so I'm sure seeds fell and germinated.
Hopefully one more year of spraying will control them.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our clover and chicory are doing good overall - a little sparse in the middle where it gets more sun but more lush on the edges where shaded more.

I overseeded one plot in the fall with wheat and it came in great but we've got a fair amount of grass that I need to kill off first before adding a fall nurse crop to go with the clover.

All total we have about 8-9 acres in food plots(on 320 ac) with the biggest being 2 acres. I think we're making progress on the perennial approach but it's slow.

Appreciate all of the info here!
clover.jpg
wheat.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom