Food Supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, dried beans, a good water filter, some flour or meal and some good old lard will feed you for quite a while. As a kid growing up in SE Oklahoma, we were dirt poor, but so was everyone else around us. None of us realized we were so poor. My Mother and Aunts canned everything we could eat. Lots of stuff from the garden, berrys and plums we picked in season and one of the strangest memories I have is of opening the pantry and looking at all the mason jars of canned squirrels. Mom and Aunt Kat would clean the squirrels, cut off the feet and head and pressure cook them. They would then take them out and either fry them and make gravy, or make dumplings with them. We ate pinto beans and cornbread every day for lunch except Sundays. We then normally had fried chicken from our chicken yard. I was a pretty big kid before I found out that Salt Port wasn't bacon.
Keeping flour or meal requires refrigeration to keep the weevils from hatching out in it. I wonder if anyone sells irradiated flour to stop that?
My prepping is to allow us to hunker down and survive for a month or so when the trucks quit making deliveries to the grocery stores. That is what scares me, we are just three days away from starvation in most cases. Blitzfike

tvantuyl

Marksman
Reaction score
I kind of like a long term/short term approach. Store some supplies to support both strategies.
The present conditions, are becoming relatively unstable IMHO, and folks NEED a prepper mindset.
If the trucks stop delivering to stores, or a natural disaster occurs, are you prepared, or are you waiting for the government to swoop in and "save" you?
The lds resources are well worth the investment to stock up your long term storage.
My 2cents worth.
TV

ewcraig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kind of like a long term/short term approach. Store some supplies to support both strategies.
The present conditions, are becoming relatively unstable IMHO, and folks NEED a prepper mindset.
If the trucks stop delivering to stores, or a natural disaster occurs, are you prepared, or are you waiting for the government to swoop in and "save" you?
The lds resources are well worth the investment to stock up your long term storage.
My 2cents worth.
TV

Agreed with the trucks not delivering. I have really noticed that a lot of the supermarkets are not keeping their shelves well stocked right now. So if the SHTF, I think groceries would disappear quickly.

tvantuyl

Marksman
Reaction score
I know of several families having about 3-4 days depth in their pantry and freezer. When asked, they are much more confident than I am of the reliable delivery of groceries. I read somewhere that food on the store shelves travels 1500 miles from factory to consumer on average. Sure lots riding on those 18 wheel trucks.
TV

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that food on the store shelves travels 1500 miles from factory to consumer on average. Sure lots riding on those 18 wheel trucks.
TV

I've heard the same thing from several sources and your right, the cost and availability of fuel for those trucks is critical. We will have a lot more trouble than just food when we experience a fuel shortage or truckers strike due to rising fuel prices. Hurricane Sandy is a good reminder of the problems society will face. You know the media didn't report all of the fights at the gas lines, or grocery stores, or drug stores.

Think about the recent Connecticut school shooting, look at the number of people, especially kids these days on psychotropic drugs. What happens 30 days after the drug stores are out of those drugs. Your neighbor might be a great guy, or his kid could play with yours and everything seems normal, but these people could go nuts when forced to go cold turkey when they suddenly can't get their meds and you don't know who these people are.

Look at what has happened since congress is even talking about a gun ban, look at the bare shelves on everything related to AR's or common caliber bullets. This is a good example of what can happen when the general population starts to fear something. I see similar situations in many other areas once we see the inflation really start to kick in, or some other crisis. Precious metals have been "range bound" for well over a year now. Once the financial crisis hits Joe Sixpack square in the wallet, you will see this metals do the same thing as bullets are now only much higher.

Who knows whether this coming collapse will be short lived and things return to "normal" in a few days, or something that continues to decline over many years. Argentina is still dealing with their problems over 10 years later. They were a first world country, the USA of the southern hemisphere at one point. It took the Soviet Union / Russia over 10 years to recover and they were much better prepared for their collapse than we are for ours.

Having food and water stored is important, but having the ability to grow your own long term is even more important if you believe like I do that this is going to effect us for a long long time.

tvantuyl

Marksman
Reaction score
Another thought/comparison comes to mind.
With the current ammo and firearms "shortage" being caused by increased interest and pending legislation, what would it take to have a similar food situation?
Maybe super storm sandy on a larger scale, and all of a sudden, not just gun stores with empty shelves, but grocery stores, too.
If folks have little or no firearms, they must rely on local leo's for protection; but if folks have little or no food, Hmmmm.

I agree with the long view of food supply. The ability of growing your own will be vital. And protecting it.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, YOUR food starts to look pretty good to them, or a mob of 20! Pretty good argument for a mag greater than 10 shots huh?

Your right, and that's exactly why they are trying to ban them. They know what is coming and they don't want us being able to defend ourselves from an hungry mob or the blue hats. They just want us to all be sheep to the slaughter.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal choice is canned goods for about 90% of stock. Forget the best by date. If the can is not swollen, then I’ll eat it. You don’t have to cook/heat or add clean water to eat them and nutrition is good. Not as good as fresh, but still good. Only down side to canned is the weight if you have to bug out. If you shop the sales and off brands then they are a good value. You can also stock up a little at a time by just putting back a few cans every time you shop. Most are under a dollar except for the meats. Also try storing some natural honey in jars, it will last years also. Mine are stored in big plastic bins. I try to have lots of cans of mixed fruit in light oil. Yum that stuff is good right out the can and can make for a big morale boost.

MRE’s might be good for a bug out pack, but wow.. are they expensive.
Dehydrated are expensive and need prep and clean water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom