Food Supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
Red Dawn in Del City (SE 15th) is also a good freeze dried supplier. They give classes too. They are open everyday EXCEPT SATURDAY. They have lots of books, magazines, and various other supplies (firestarters, suture kits, Kelly Kettles, solar ovens, DVDs, etc). My husband and I go there at least once every couple of weeks. We don't get much freeze dried food, but a little (we mostly use good dated canned). I like to get some of the magazines like Urban Farm, Grit, and the booklets by Storey (How to grow berries, How to make a cold storage, How to grow herbs, etc., etc.). These booklets are $3.95 each. There are lots on the website, www.storey.com .

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anywhere in Tulsa that sale what Wise Food Storage has or something similiar? Like to spend my money close to home instead of internet. Thanks.

I'd open up some of Wise's stuff and try it before you buy a lot. They seem to rely heavily on sugar and salt. I know that their "Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal" packet that is supposed to feed 4 people has to have another cup of rolled oats added to it before it's not too syrupy sweet to eat for us and to be enough for more than the two of us. Granted, everyone tastes are different, so it might be okay to you.

I do buy Wise stuff, but mostly to use for the flavorings. I always add more of the main "filler", if you will, like rice or oats or pasta to the package. That way, I can either use the extra for leftovers the next day (or mix in the extra cup or two and then only cook half of that and save the other half for another time).

I found out that "dated canned" is only a reference to when it has the best taste, and is not required to be put on anything but baby formula.

It can last many years longer as long as the cans are not swelled or discolored. Google it.

Yep. We regularly eat canned goods (and pasta and packaged side dishes, like Lipton, for that matter) that are 3 and 4 years past their "use by" or "date canned" date. Our "pantry" is a spare bedroom that is much cooler than the rest of the house and stays dark, except for when I'm in there looking for something. Windows and vents are covered in the winter, when the heater is on. Just windows are covered in the summer. I don't think it ever gets above 55-60 degrees in there, even on the hottest summer days. Neighbor's gigantic oak tree keeps that corner of the house in deep shade all day.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We buy extra can goods every week. Especially what is on sale, meat, fresh fruit and veggies, can goods IN BULK. Can most of it or dehydrate. 5 gal air tight buckets for flour, corn meal, sugar, pasta, beans, rice.

Recently had a qt of black eyed peas canned by my grandmother in 1992. AWESOME, taste like they were just picked.
Wife made spagetti sauce yesterday. We had spagetti for supper and canned 15 qts of sauce and meatballs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom