For all you diesel guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish Ford had kept the 7.3 stroke. So much easier to work on. I have almost 200k miles on mine and it still runs well. I am glad that I have the 6 speed! When it comes time, I may just rebuild Whitey instead of trading her off.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my tow trucks has the 7.3 and we just can't kill it. By the way, did you know that emissions requirements were what killed the 7.3 and gave us the lovely 6.0L?

Unless you are a diesel drag racer, any race pulling a trailer is totally irrelevant to which truck is the best. Show me a race to 500,000 miles in everyday conditions, that's the race that tells me which truck is best.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Show it to the head stds and egr.

I did have that done, but it had over 150k on it when I did that. And at that time it was still running just fine. I wanted some insurance against my tuner. I also had exhaust and bunch of other things done to it. But again, it was running just fine when I did those things voluntarily as part of my modification plan. And now it's bulletproof and has spanked many a modded Duramax and modded Cummins. I'm not sure why I even respond to such a brand hater though.

Glock N Load

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think all 3 will get the job done or they would'nt be in buisness still. But it's fun to debate which is best! I don't have a diesel so im not biased to any of them. I drive a half ton 07 silverado but if i was gonna buy a diesel I would probably go with a F-250.
One of my tow trucks has the 7.3 and we just can't kill it. By the way, did you know that emissions requirements were what killed the 7.3 and gave us the lovely 6.0L?

Unless you are a diesel drag racer, any race pulling a trailer is totally irrelevant to which truck is the best. Show me a race to 500,000 miles in everyday conditions, that's the race that tells me which truck is best.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget, while it does include both gasoline and diesel engines and all F-series trucks, Ford STILL sells more trucks than any of the others, and they've been doing so for 30+ years.

When I was researching for a truck for pulling our fifth wheel, neither Dodge nor GM had a truck that would match the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating of the F450, without getting up into the 5500 series and larger trucks. When a Dodge salesman couldn't show better numbers in comparison to the F450, his only response was to try to tear down the Ford products. He really got incensed when I told him that I was familiar with sales and if he had to tear down his competitors to sell his products, he had a problem with his own product.

Back some years ago (they have since improved), a lady friend who is really into horses told me that when going to the horse shows, one rarely saw a GM product pulling those large trailers. They just didn't have the strength or endurance to match Ford and Dodge.

Ford's Best Sellers

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Bingo! In my experience the Dodge has been the most reliable. Have 3 Dodges running around on the farm now after trying Chevy's (pre duramax) and a POS FORD.

Main problem with the Dodge's has been door latches and some U-Joints. Oh and one rear end. Lot better than engines and trannys that the Ford likes to eat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom