For all you "REAL" rifle shooters out there!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really wanting to practice my open sight skillz. Or better yet, determine if I have any. Itchin' to get my newly acquired Swede Mauser out and see what I\it can do.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I kinda think I know where EZ is coming from here; it can be a daunting task shooting a small target at a far distance, say 150yds and out, when the width of the front sight blade is quite large and can cover up a good portion of the target, if not all of it.
I think this is where iron sight shooting becomes an art. I would say that the best iron shooters still keep their focus razor sharp on the front sight, but in the periphery, they keep the sharp focused front blade in line with the target and neraby visual points of reference.

Kurt??? Pinto???? what say ya?

Yes you do, and its similar to doping the wind, you almost have both eye's working independant of each other.

I'm really wanting to practice my open sight skillz. Or better yet, determine if I have any. Itchin' to get my newly acquired Swede Mauser out and see what I\it can do.

Flatwins, If you'd like, come on down, and bring the kids if you have them. We can leave the kids at my house(My daughter will keep them entertained, no the wife won't mind), and we can unlimber those surplus guns on our outdoor range here. Work them at 50yds, then play around at 100yds. We've got shooting tables for the rifle range. Bring some pistols too. You have an open invitation my friend, and yes you can shoot my too!!!!

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very good post, thanks for sharing it!

I've actually found that my EOTech has been collecting dust in favor of carry handle irons on my AR, and I've really been enjoying my Model 94AE on irons as well.

Going to have to break out the old Modelo 1891 Argentine Mauser sometime and try the same thing. So many manuals of arms to learn, so little time.:preocc:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent article, and I learned a few things from reading it! But...

Rack Grade CMP M1 Garand= Approx $350.00
4437 rounds of 30-06 in 8rnd clips = Approx $875.00

350 bucks for a CMP rack-grade M1? 20 cents a round for 30-06 in a clip? I'd like to get in on that deal, assuming the article wasn't written two years ago :P

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is how I do it.
I'm not trying to shoot a target - I'm trying to shoot at the CENTER of the target, single point. I look at the target and find the center, focus on the front blade, line up rear sight with horizon and top of the front sight, bring the aligned picture to the center of the target, keep focus on the front sight and try to pull it closer with the trigger finger if there was a string.

Thinking of a point in space helped me a lot - if you aim at a point it doesn't matter how far it is and takes away need of focusing on it.

Your tip reminds me of Mel Gibson in the movie The Patriot where he says...."Aim small, miss small"

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kinda think I know where EZ is coming from here; it can be a daunting task shooting a small target at a far distance, say 150yds and out, when the width of the front sight blade is quite large and can cover up a good portion of the target, if not all of it.
I think this is where iron sight shooting becomes an art. I would say that the best iron shooters still keep their focus razor sharp on the front sight, but in the periphery, they keep the sharp focused front blade in line with the target and neraby visual points of reference.

Kurt??? Pinto???? what say ya?

I don't know, but maybe this is it (MoBoost's point is pretty good as well), but I have had a lot of improvement in my iron-sight shooting using orange clay pigeons at 100yds when focusing on the target - I honestly thought I was doing it wrong by focusing on the front sight post - unless I was actually just not focusing on a single point but on a blurred area that happen to be orange out at 100yds.

I've gotten a lot better at using the mil-dot reticule on my .308, but I've felt a lot lately like I needed to learn the basics of Irons and have been doing some work with the AR with the optic turned off to make myself learn to use the Irons correctly - I figured out that when using the optic (2 MOA dot) with the Irons, I wasn't even really using the Irons - I'd line the dot up at the top of the front iron, but I got really lazy about not even caring about the rear site or proper line-up.

I've been forcing myself to use the Irons "properly" lately by focusing on the target (which was apparently not proper). Now I'm wondering if I focus on the front iron, maybe I'll actually see a point on the target instead of just a blurry orange blob out there since I've spent so much time focusing on a point in the center of it.

I'm definitely going to apply what I've learned here and see how much of a difference it makes (or how much I've handicapped myself by doing it incorrectly).

I love threads like this where everyone comes together with knowledge and no one steps on anyone's toes.

Thanks for all the info.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey EZ, I forgot to mention that a 6:00 o'clock hold helps too. I never cared for it when my vision was good, but now it does help to "guesstimate" the center when you can't see it clearly.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things I have noticed over the years:

Most folks don't shoot irons very well.

It is easy to shoot irons well if you do it right and expend a few 100 rounds a month to start, after you get a good grounding in Irons it doesn't take too much ammo to stay good.

I have notice a fairly good impact change when shooting through a Red dot device that is turned off as the light bends from the refractory lens that lets you see the red dot. Not good for Irons! If you zero them trough the "glass" you need to use them trough the glass and vis versa!

Most folks don't give irons a long enough chance and quit on them way before they will ever get good.

Sight radius is your best friend.

If your front sight looks too big at 150 it IS too big. Thin it down!

Run a 300 yard zero. for both a .223 or .308

Hitting a 10" steel target at 500 yds isn't that hard if you have a good grounding in basic iron sight shooting.

IF YOU DON'T FOCUS ON YOUR FRONT SIGHT YOU WILL NEVER BE GOOD WITH IRONS.

There is a huge difference between "open sights" ( a-la AKs, Express sights, Slug sights found on 1100 slug guns...etc.) and Aperature sights ( anything with a "peep rear sight" a-la M-14 AR-15 etc.) Open sights blow! Aperature sights can and will shoot the potential of the rifle.;

Disclaimer.....These shooting glasses aren't this thick for safety! You don't need good eye sight to be good with iron sights.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Things I have noticed over the years:

Most folks don't shoot irons very well.

Disclaimer.....These shooting glasses aren't this thick for safety! You don't need good eye sight to be good with iron sights.

I wear bifocals, and still shoot iron sights. Nothing beats a good peep sight! Of it does bare mentioning that a sling isn't just for carrying the rifle. Once you learn the sling, along with the peep, you'll be amazed at your ability to hit what your shooting at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom