For all you "REAL" rifle shooters out there!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have NEVER heard that. When shooting irons, the front sight is the whole world, the only thing that matters.

So you're supposed to focus on the front sight? I have been chastised specifically for this by a couple of people that I thought knew what they were talking about - the point being that no human being can focus on more than one thing at a time (especially when dealing with distances of 20-100yds). If you focus on your front sight, doesn't the target become blurry?

I've heard the same thing with handguns - focus on the target but bring the front sight into the picture and see it as you line it up with the target (but it is not the primary point of focus - the target is).

I thought this specifically jived with keeping both eyes opened when shooting.

I'm not arguing - just stating that I've been told this - I'd actually prefer to do things the right way, so if I'm way off here I've got no problem re-learning it the correct way.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you're supposed to focus on the front sight? I have been chastised specifically for this by a couple of people that I thought knew what they were talking about - the point being that no human being can focus on more than one thing at a time (especially when dealing with distances of 20-100yds). If you focus on your front sight, doesn't the target become blurry?

I've heard the same thing with handguns - focus on the target but bring the front sight into the picture and see it as you line it up with the target (but it is not the primary point of focus - the target is).

I thought this specifically jived with keeping both eyes opened when shooting.

I'm not arguing - just stating that I've been told this - I'd actually prefer to do things the right way, so if I'm way off here I've got no problem re-learning it the correct way.
Yep that's the way you do it. Once upon a time I could focus on all three. For real, I'm not BS'ing you. But no longer. In the last couple of months I've started wearing my reading glasses to shoot so I can keep the front in focus. It has helped immensely. At last weeks practical match I forgot to put them on for the handgun stage. I missed the 1st target on the Texas star about 4 or 5 times in a row. The month before I tried wearing them "grampa" style so I could look over them while firing the rifle (I can see fine at distance and use an Aimpoint) and through them when I went to the handgun. It worked great. Your target may be blurry but you CAN still see it out there. If it becomes a problem when shooting at long range those high viz target stickers work especially when you have a lot of contrast. (fluorescent orange on the black circle)

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I kinda think I know where EZ is coming from here; it can be a daunting task shooting a small target at a far distance, say 150yds and out, when the width of the front sight blade is quite large and can cover up a good portion of the target, if not all of it.
I think this is where iron sight shooting becomes an art. I would say that the best iron shooters still keep their focus razor sharp on the front sight, but in the periphery, they keep the sharp focused front blade in line with the target and neraby visual points of reference.

Kurt??? Pinto???? what say ya?

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always heard the opposite of this when shooting irons - never focus on the front sight, but rather on the target and bring the sights up together to the target.

I've improved my standing shots quite a bit by taking my focus off of the front iron sight.

I've heard the same as well.. Guess its back to the drawing board

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is how I do it.
I'm not trying to shoot a target - I'm trying to shoot at the CENTER of the target, single point. I look at the target and find the center, focus on the front blade, line up rear sight with horizon and top of the front sight, bring the aligned picture to the center of the target, keep focus on the front sight and try to pull it closer with the trigger finger if there was a string.

Thinking of a point in space helped me a lot - if you aim at a point it doesn't matter how far it is and takes away need of focusing on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom