For the OSA pilots.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of rocks. Be pretty freaky if you were not familiar with the airport.

Yes. When stationed above K2 airfield in Korea on a mountain top microwave site, the ATC would commonly call us to ask where the cloud cover ended. Not a very technical answer. It was either above or below our site. That is all they wanted to know.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone else remember the Far Side cartoon, where the pilot asks the co-pilot, "Hey, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the clouds?"

There's just something about doing 200mph (or whatever the approach speed is) with zero visibility that sorta makes me nervous. Maybe airplane computers and instruments are more reliable than the Honeywell Control Systems we use here at work, but I've had too many computers lie to me to trust them with my life. Like when I'm eyeballing a motor that is not running, and the guy in the control room says, "The Honeywell says it running and showing a motor load." Or when a tank is overflowing at a 15000gpm rate and the Honeywell says it's normal.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cool video. It's human nature to operate solely on what our eyes tell us. Using our other senses is often taken for granted until we lose them.

it would be cool to sit in front some day. I've only seen the Boomers side of things in flight.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to be before there was glide slope indicators, if it was known there was enough ceiling below the clouds, the bold pilots would throw their planes into a spin and then recover below the clouds and then land. I'm neither that old nor bold.

Woody

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was a pilot and my best friend was a pilot, so I've spent a few hours in the air, it's a whole different world up in a small aircraft vs a commercial. I can see why they always went to fly when they wanted to relax, it's a beautiful world that anyone who's never flown in a small aircraft should see.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me it is about the same difference as riding your own motorcycle or sitting on a bus to take a trip. General Aviation can fly in and out of many hundreds of times more airports than airliners.

A STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) plane can get in out of low cut grass fields most anywhere. With Wifey and dog aboard, we generally need less than 250ft for landing and take off in ours.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Would not trade my license for anything. I fly regularly and am a proficient instrument pilot by choice. Being able to file IFR in flight to get home makes a big difference in when and where I fly my family. I have my own personal limits and they are generally way above minimums.

Aviation is therapy - Any pilot who chooses to fly on their own dollar will confirm this. There is nothing that compares to the sense of zen you get in the air.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally agree with the therapy comment. I will like to re-use "that sense of ZEN" sstatement if you do not mind, it will fit well. Our ZENair 801 STOL (Zenith Aircraft Corp) is our therapy. We also have a Cherokee 235 for trips, faster, and IFR equiped but usually not quite as exhilarating. Popping out of the clouds and seeing the end of the runway is a thrill, but a short grass strip landing at lunch with a BBQ grill set up in front of someones hangar house in the middle of nowhere does make you smile also. We can fly with the doors open if we want if we need some air.

It is a little like the freedom feel of a motorcycle, but you can pull back on the "bars" (Yoke or stick) and ride most anywhere or just cruise around nowhere without a road. Hey, there is a lake over there, lets go take a look at it and wave to the boaters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom