For you expert plumbers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a bathroom in the garage. It’s wasted space because nobody uses it.
The small room is climate controlled so we thought it would be the perfect walk in pantry.
I’ve changed out toilets but never removed one.
I’d like to just cap it off making sure it’s sealed so it could be converted back to a bathroom if the next owner wanted to.
I’ve never seen this done and don’t know if a cap that seals even exists.
Anyone do this in the past?

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through the same thing about 5 years ago. I had a half bath at the entry from the garage t o the washer/dryer room. Had a slab leak that they had to jackhammer the concrete floor up to fix it.

They had to strip the room out. Toilet, the cabinet vanity and sink, etc.

Since I still have 2 full bathrooms, I decided to have my retired contractor/handyman/carpenter guy seal off the toilet flange thing. I don't know where he got the doo-dad for this purpose. Maybe Lock Supply?

He also capped off the copper tubing inside the wall and fixed that. Then got new floor tile, paint, trim, etc. Looked pretty darn good to me.

Got a kitchen cabinet, floor one, the base unit??? Whatever you call it. has 4 drawers and a cabinet door. He put a nice top on it.

I wanted a nice pantry. But the expense was getting high, so I went to Home Dippy-Doo and bought 2 of those wire shelving units, 6 feet tall,3 feet wide, and I think 15 inches front to back. Put some adjustable shelves on the walls above each side of the base cabinet.

Went pretty darn well. I like it.

I only regret not getting some custom made floor to ceiling shelves, nice wood, instead of the wire shelves from Home Dippy-Doo.

The cost of some custom made shelves was a bit expensive after all the other work was done (slab leak repair and going back) so I cheaped out.

I think one of these days I'll get some custom shelves built. I keep thinking I might remove the Home Dippy-Doo base cabinet and just have the entire room custom done in custom cabinet and shelving. I hate to waste any useful storage space since the room is small to start with, and I love the idea of having a pantry.

It's just that the wire shelves are much less efficient, some space is wasted, and I regret that.

Good luck to you.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't most of the rubber plugs just for testing or temporary use? I'd want it capped semi-permanently somehow. I've heard sewer gas isn't great to have in the house.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't most of the rubber plugs just for testing or temporary use? I'd want it capped semi-permanently somehow. I've heard sewer gas isn't great to have in the house.
Back when I worked maintenance at an 'assisted living facility' i.e. nursing home in South Hutchinson KS, the administrator of the facility wanted one of the staff bathrooms changed to an office. After removing the toilet and flange I installed one of those plugs in the toilet drain-pipe about an inch below floor grade, then filled the space between the plug and the floor in with concrete quik-mix. After it set up I used 'floor leveler' then re-tiled the entire floor.

Sealed well, yet still able to be chipped-out if needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom