Ford Ecoboost F-150, whos driven it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at residual value on a Toyota and then look at the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks and that was my initial reason. My builder has all newer F250 4x4s and my 08 Tundra pulled them out of the mud and up hills during my house construction on a regular basis.

That's just it though, toyota resale isn't any higher. IIRC Chevy still has the highest resale value in the truck market, dodge having the lowest (go figure) LOL.
Not to mention Toyota has the highest sticker prices and offer the least in rebates and incentives. Most dealers in this area won't come but a couple hundred off sticker. If you hit it right and you got buddies in the right places it ain't nothing to get $10-15k knocked off a ford or chevy. Now take any of those trucks, identical style, options and mileage (ford/chevy/Yota) a couple years after you bought it and the resale/trade in value will be pretty close.
As for any make of truck pulling others out the mud/hills more often. To claim that is comical...
I've gotten them all stuck LOL

M

Mach1soldier

After extensive research, I settled on the ecoboost F150 and haven't looked back. Ford really hit it out of the park with this one. The ecoboost has more torque and horsepower than the 5.0, due to the twin turbos.

Also, the F150 is the smoothest riding truck you'll ever ride in. Out of all the trucks I've driven, it glides as if you're riding on air. I'm used to the old school trucks where you're bouncing everywhere. Not so with the F150. Even friends who drive BMW's and Bentleys have commented about the ride in the F150. Gas mileage is comparable to my old 98 Ford Explorer. If you have a heavy foot and gun it a lot, probably less. It has a lot of pep off the line and it's fun hearing the turbos spool up and hearing the turbos whine.

If you floor it, there is a slight delay before the turbos kick in. Sometimes the sag can be really bad when you gun it when the engine least expects it. Most of this is due to how the engine is programmed. The Ford cars with the ecoboost don't have this problem as they are programmed to be always "on" when the pedal is floored. With the trucks, there's a delay when the engine is figuring out if you're slamming the gas because you need extra hauling power or if you're just gunning it off the line. Some people have been able to tweak the trucks computer to make it behave more like cars so they kick of the line without the sag.

If you're going to be hauling something everyday, I would stick with a 5.0. Under constant heavy load, the 5.0 will be slightly better gas efficient. Otherwise, the ecoboost is where it's at. The only reason why Ford didn't get rid of the 5.0 is because they will lose the "5.0 or nothing" type crowd. You can even read up on the torture test Ford did with the ecoboost.

If you do buy the ecoboost, be sure to get a rear axle ratio of 3.55. The super towing F150's will have a 3.73 axle ratio. Do not get the ones with a 3.15 axle ratio, however. It'll save you a little more on gas, but lacks the towing capacity out of the three. 3.55 is a nice inbetween balance of towing power and road performance for gas mileage.

In my 4 door supercab, I'll get about 18-19 mpg in town. If I make a habit of gunning it off the line and driving aggresively, then it's more like 16-17 mpg. On the highway, I'll get anywhere from 18mpg - 21mpg depending on conditions and wind, ect.

Couldn't agree more with above except one thing, I tow on a bi monthly basis up to two hours each way but would prefer the 3.15 gears. I think towing anything under 7k pounds would work great. I tow a 9k car hauler and a horse trailer without issue. Mine is the 3.55 supercrew 2 wheel drive. I get 13 MPG towing a loaded two horse trailer. Never checked with the enclosed car hauler because I know it sucks lol. I think around 9-11 MPG is a good estimate depending on speed. Pulling it is not a problem at all though which is what I wanted.

Gas mileage is 15.5 to 18.5 in town. Anwhere from 18 to 23 on highway. At 55=60 MPH it gets 24-28 MPG but thats really slow in Oklahoma. I averaged 20 on my roadtrip to Florida fully loaded with tons of weight in the bed. I have a light and attentive foot. Heavy foot it and you will see that number dip big time.

I'm at 15k miles now. Hopefully this helps.

If you start looking at review sites, many people claim ford told them the engine had a break in period. I am inclined to concur since our mileage was always good but became great at the 5-6K mile point. Also gas mileage is way higher (3-4 MPG) in the summer versus winter and its not the gas since I tried many different brands including ethanol free. The truck just does better in hotter weather (as most do but didn't forsee that big a difference).

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with above except one thing, I tow on a bi monthly basis up to two hours each way but would prefer the 3.15 gears. I think towing anything under 7k pounds would work great. I tow a 9k car hauler and a horse trailer without issue. Mine is the 3.55 supercrew 2 wheel drive. I get 13 MPG towing a loaded two horse trailer. Never checked with the enclosed car hauler because I know it sucks lol. I think around 9-11 MPG is a good estimate depending on speed. Pulling it is not a problem at all though which is what I wanted.

Gas mileage is 15.5 to 18.5 in town. Anwhere from 18 to 23 on highway. At 55=60 MPH it gets 24-28 MPG but thats really slow in Oklahoma. I averaged 20 on my roadtrip to Florida fully loaded with tons of weight in the bed. I have a light and attentive foot. Heavy foot it and you will see that number dip big time.

I'm at 15k miles now. Hopefully this helps.

If you start looking at review sites, many people claim ford told them the engine had a break in period. I am inclined to concur since our mileage was always good but became great at the 5-6K mile point. Also gas mileage is way higher (3-4 MPG) in the summer versus winter and its not the gas since I tried many different brands including ethanol free. The truck just does better in hotter weather (as most do but didn't forsee that big a difference).

It could also maybe be the gas itself. Stations get different fuels from summer to winter. There is a "Summer Blend" and a "Winter Blend". The chances your truck runs better on the summer blend is high. Turbo motors run better on cooler air so for it to run better in the summer is actually counter intuitive.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a Ford dealership in the Tulsa area that anyone recommends dealing with? Or even better a specific individual at a Ford dealer in the Tulsa area? Looking at buying used.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my last F-150 in 2010 from Bob Hurley, as soon as the 2013's hit the lot I'm trading my 2010 and I'm going to Bob Hurley and getting an EcoBoost. I have always been a Chevy/GMC guy until I bought this 2010 F-150, by far the nicest, smoothest riding truck I have ever rode in or drove. It's a 2010 Platinum Crew Cab, 4x4, fully loaded, it's like a luxury car in a truck. Oh and I also have 123,000 miles on it in 2 years so I know what it's been through. I am officially a Ford guy now.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went and bought one last friday, a 2012 Screw FX4 and love it so far. Mine has the 3.73 gears and still is getting 15-16 around town, so I am happy. And I smoked Ms. 10Seconds' BMW 328 at a stoplight with it too, and now, she is not happy. This is one quick and powerful truck, which is more than I expected from it. And the ride is amazing. I was a Chevy guy til 2005 but switched to Ford after an Avalanche purchase that lasted 3 days and havent looked back since. If you do get one you will be glad you did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom