Foreign money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know much about foreign money? I have some I had picked up here and there in my misspent youth. Some bills and some coins. Some collectors pieces and some just daily money. I know I have a 1000 note from Bolivia worth $140 exchange rate and a 100,000 mark note worth a whole $5, notes from Brazil, Indonesia, Japanese WW2 pesos from the Philippines, and even a note with the hammer and sickle on the back. (guess where I got that :P)

I have Canadian coins, Mexican coins, Chinese coins, Indonesian coins, and coins from several other countries. What I do not have is a reliable way to find their worth which would come in handy right now. One guy I know offered me 6 sticks of 8gb DDR3 which would be worth about $175 but then I overheard him on the phone telling his wife how he was going to screw me with bad memory. Now I do not know who to trust or what to do. Any advice would help.

I'll help you out.
Don't trust that guy you know.

I've got a lot of those Jap Pesos. A shoebox full. I just figured they weren't anything but souvenirs.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I paid more for was Australian currency. I paid 1/1 face value even their dollar is far less than ours, but their plastic money is pretty.
I mentioned an Aussie trucker in Clay's tattoo thread, and one of the things he showed us was how to fold an Australian $10 bill to make an extremely rude image from Liz's face.

Alas, it has been too long, so I don't remember how he folded the note to get that result.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day I worked overseas for several years (10) and I've got bills and coins around here some place from Vietnam, Indonesia, Libya, Singapore, Thailand, UK, Italy and Switzerland......at the exchange rates back then there's probably only $75.00 or $100.00 U.S. in the whole lot.

Just for the heck of it maybe I should dig them out and put them in some sort of album.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FOUND IT! I found what has the jerk so interested I believe, but I am not sure how it ended up with my foreign stuff. Somehow a 1943 D steel penny that is just off enough to look double struck if you look at it from certain angles. The real double struck are being listed online for over $10,000.00 or more depending on the seller and condition. I do not think this one is but the 3 sure looks funny.
If you want to find out the real value yo will have to send it off and pay for it to be graded

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can take the foreign currency to most international airports to sell for cash at money change vendors. Most will charge a small commission to exchange it.
We always get stuck with foreign currency in our travels, and found that is the best way to get rid of it.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a layover in the international terminal of LAX a few years ago, walked up to one of those currency tenders, but was told by two different vendors that I could only purchase money for the country I had a ticket to visit. They only allowed trade in for arriving guests. It was a bummer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a layover in the international terminal of LAX a few years ago, walked up to one of those currency tenders, but was told by two different vendors that I could only purchase money for the country I had a ticket to visit. They only allowed trade in for arriving guests. It was a bummer.
I guess that's why we got to exchange it as arriving passengers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom