Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Hit By Cargo Ship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
another video out there shows the ship prior to striking the bridge and it appears that the ship might have had some problems that contributed. At least in that video, it appears the ship loses power (all lights go out), eventually come back on and smoke appears coming from it. All before it struck the support.

Found a video of it

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's still a bit funny in that whatever TV channel I was watching this morning showed the track of the ship was aimed right in the middle of the channel under the span then veered off to its right - right into the piling. Why would a power failure cause the ship to turn? Wouldn't it continue straight unless it lost power on one shaft only? Then. of course, there is the rudder capable of keeping the vessel on course.

Questions need answers.

I await the final conclusion of the investigation.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's still a bit funny in that whatever TV channel I was watching this morning showed the track of the ship was aimed right in the middle of the channel under the span then veered off to its right - right into the piling. Why would a power failure cause the ship to turn? Wouldn't it continue straight unless it lost power on one shaft only? Then. of course, there is the rudder capable of keeping the vessel on course.

Questions need answers.

I await the final conclusion of the investigation.
They could've lost power in the middle of maneuvering, so the rudder was possibly out of center when it lost power? Also, currents play a role as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom