Freaking ceiling fans!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to tin them: solder those free ends...twist them tight, stick them in elec flux, and hit them with elec solder. Then trim to length and then you can stab them into the little holes.
Yea some day I am going to talk the wife into letting me buy that kind of stuff again. Her and my docs have conspired to keep me from doing most repairs anymore. I still have some stuff but the wife freaks out every time I go to buy replacement stuff like flux or electrical solder. "You don't need that, you are not supposed to be doing that kind of stuff anyway" Nag, nag, nag. I would blame it on the Ivermectin but she has been this way ever since I was in the hospital. Women just do not understand a man's need to do his own repairs.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would much rather take a beating than install ceiling fans. I too have installed/replaced those horrid medieval devices and have the scaars to prove it. Thankfully, all the rooms that can have a fan has got one now and I can relax until she who shall not be named, gets to disliking the decore in the room. Hopefully, optimistically, I have passed on to the netherworld when that time comes.

There had better not be ceiling fans there.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave up and ordered in a more expensive switch that already has wires installed. My arms working that high was making my heart thump again even working even with the fan. Guess the wife was right, damn it!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of replacing 8 ceiling fans myself. It would go faster if I didn't have to "correct" the fire hazard wiring going to the junction box on 1/2 of them.......

One of the previous owners ran jumper wires from the junction box on top on the joist down to the fan box under the joist with 18G stranded speaker wire. On another they ran THHN to the junction box without conduit. And multiple wire splices in Romex made with only electrical tape and no junction box at all.

I still have no idea how this place never burnt down..... This is the same house that had the LIVE electrical panel behind the SHOWER with no cover or sheetrock. Only the shower liner was keeping the moisture out.
tapatalk_558769534_480x601.jpeg

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hung literately thousands of ceiling fans in my day but they keep getting harder to work on every year. Trying to replace the fan speed control in my bedroom and you have to plug the wires into the switch. The wires are small gauge stranded so it wants to bend instead of stabbing in.

My arms get tired being over my head for long periods of time so I have to do a little, take a break do a little more, take another break, do a little, sit down and *****, etc, etc, etc. Just venting a little while I figure out what to do.
Hang in there RickN.....you'll get this behind you.....

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of replacing 8 ceiling fans myself. It would go faster if I didn't have to "correct" the fire hazard wiring going to the junction box on 1/2 of them.......

One of the previous owners ran jumper wires from the junction box on top on the joist down to the fan box under the joist with 18G stranded speaker wire. On another they ran THHN to the junction box without conduit. And multiple wire splices in Romex made with only electrical tape and no junction box at all.

I still have no idea how this place never burnt down..... This is the same house that had the LIVE electrical panel behind the SHOWER with no cover or sheetrock. Only the shower liner was keeping the moisture out.

Ran into this doing one last night.
They had completely covered the box, ran some 14 gauge wire jumpers over to the joist and had attached the fan with 2 Sheetrock screws..
The thing is, the original box was already on a ceiling fan brace like this:
1639587417994.png

/facepalm.

1639587277333.png
1639587292996.png

After adding a box extension and swapping the ceiling tiles I got it mounted properly and don't have an extra hole in the ceiling tiles.

1639587903361.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 90's used to install ceiling fans when they first became popular. $20 each if they had already been framed in with a lighting junction box available because of an existing light. Took about 45 minutes to install which was great wages in that day.
The price went way up if wiring had to be ran from a breaker panel.
One guy at work wanted 4 hung at existing locations. Three hours later was done and wanting the money.
It was then he told me he didn't have the money but offered a Police Only Mossburg 600AT as payment.
3" chambers, cylinder bore, drilled and tapped for a scope with a leather sling.
Heck ya! Deal done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom