Fridge GFCI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMPregler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently the fridge in the garage has been tripping the GFCI. Tried plugging it into another outlet and now whenever I plug it in it auto trips the GFCI. Any idea on what to look for to correct this?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried plugging some other device like a vacuum cleaner into the same plugs.
Could be the plug is getting weak or that the contacts inside the sockets of the plug are tarnished and not making good contact with the fridge plug.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GFIs are great in a bathroom or kitchen but I never saw a reason for one in the garage so I removed mine. It would trip sometimes and shut off the entire garage and I had 2 freezers full of food in the garage. I couldnt risk loosing a side of beef. Just change it out and be done.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GFIs are great in a bathroom or kitchen but I never saw a reason for one in the garage so I removed mine. It would trip sometimes and shut off the entire garage and I had 2 freezers full of food in the garage. I couldnt risk loosing a side of beef. Just change it out and be done.
And it was tripping without anything being plugged into it. The freezers were plugged into regular outlets but they were all wired through that dang GFI. I bet it tripped off 3 times in a year before I changed it out.
The one in the kitchen does this too on rare occasions but it doesnt shut off any important appliances, just the toaster and coffee maker.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I already know you don't give two squirts of piss......GFCI's are code in a garrage.....check with your local jurisdiction

if its the cause of a fire insurance wont pay.....I know you already did that....jusayin.... ;) ...carry on

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already know you don't give two squirts of piss......GFCI's are code in a garrage.....check with your local jurisdiction

if its the cause of a fire insurance wont pay.....I know you already did that....jusayin.... ;) ...carry on
GFCIs are to prevent electrocution when in close proximity to a tub or sink. They dont prevent a fire first and foremost. There is no tub or sink or other source of water holding devices in my garage. I would never advocate removing one in a kitchen or bathroom.

Latest posts

Top Bottom