Another OSA Owned Watch Rebuild – 1961 Bulova Type A17A Military Issue Navigation Watch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Stuff! The relation of watchmakers and arms manufacturing is fascinating. Eight centuries of collaboration (that's right, I did some reading, 800 yrs worth) where the watch and clock makers contributions to precision mechanics were applied to ancient mechanical weapons thru to the advent of firearms. Not just arms were developed and modified by this groups tedious toil of torturous thought and invention but has had profound impact in the fishing world too. Today I regularly fish with my collection of Mitchell series spinning reels (most are around 70-80 yrs old now - a score more than me). These fishing reels changed fishing forever and are considered to be one of the greatest contributions to angling.

Time is not timeless as it continually moves on. "Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping - into the future," (a classic Steve Miller line for those in the know and those not). But the gift of precision by these candle burners is timeless. Tachometers, altimeters and a looooong list of other inventions were all in concert and development of the clock/watch maker.

Thanks for arousing my curiosity as my wife doesn't do that much any more. I have my father's 1964 (my birth yr) Seiko self winder he bought on a TDY trip to Japan. I had it repaired once and wore it for several years. I don't use a watch any more except on dress up occasions in an attempt to garnish myself. Cell phones have replaced these jeweled jewels. But still I would like to have it fixed as a reminder of not time but memories.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Stuff! The relation of watchmakers and arms manufacturing is fascinating. Eight centuries of collaboration (that's right, I did some reading, 800 yrs worth) where the watch and clock makers contributions to precision mechanics were applied to ancient mechanical weapons thru to the advent of firearms. Not just arms were developed and modified by this groups tedious toil of torturous thought and invention but has had profound impact in the fishing world too. Today I regularly fish with my collection of Mitchell series spinning reels (most are around 70-80 yrs old now - a score more than me). These fishing reels changed fishing forever and are considered to be one of the greatest contributions to angling.

Time is not timeless as it continually moves on. "Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping - into the future," (a classic Steve Miller line for those in the know and those not). But the gift of precision by these candle burners is timeless. Tachometers, altimeters and a looooong list of other inventions were all in concert and development of the clock/watch maker.

Thanks for arousing my curiosity as my wife doesn't do that much any more. I have my father's 1964 (my birth yr) Seiko self winder he bought on a TDY trip to Japan. I had it repaired once and wore it for several years. I don't use a watch any more except on dress up occasions in an attempt to garnish myself. Cell phones have replaced these jeweled jewels. But still I would like to have it fixed as a reminder of not time but memories.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Feel free to PM me about your father's 1964 Seiko. There are a few others in the que still, but I'll be happy to take a look at it once I get some other repair/restoration work completed. Thanks.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yep Im A mitchell man first spinning reel i ever had and learned on.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for arousing my curiosity as my wife doesn't do that much any more.

9EB8223A-9EA4-4AEC-9E84-46C3DB744E6E.gif

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Leupold not only made scopes, but they also started with making measurement instruments.
When working at Sooner Power Plant before retiring, we had to monitor the lake levels. It was done with a Leupold mechanical level indicator. Pretty sophisticated mechanical instrument that generated a chart type recording using inks.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I still have my dads mitchell. One a freshwater reel and the other a saltwater size I use for snagging paddlefish. They don't get used often, but they still get used.
Got a Swedish made Zebco Cardinal 4 that I’m either gonna sell or put some fresh line on and fish it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom