FTF Problems w/SW M&P 15-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 this week. Loved the look and was told by several dealers that this model performed much better than the Colt. I took it to the range today and had a FTF (stovepipe) immediately after the first round. I only had the cheapo Remington ammo. After I cleared the spent round and the chambered round, the gun would repeat the FTF on the next shot fired. Several of the ejected rounds were bent.
I tried loading the magazine with fewer rounds (5). This only slightly improved the situation (maybe two rounds fired before another FTF).
On one occasion, the spent casing was stuck in the barrel.
I did not clean and lube the weapon before shooting.
I don't know if it's the ammo, the magazine or the gun itself.
Has anyone experienced these type of problems? Any insight on solutions? Does this model have a "break in period" (I read this somewhere)?
I am not happy.:crying:
I was told that this model would shoot anything that was fed into it.
Any help sure would be appreciated!

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any .22 semi-auto can be pickey when it comes to ammo. Try several brands of premium .22 ammo and find what your gun likes best. They are generally more forgiving after a few hundred rounds.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over on the Blue forum it seems to be the general consensus (I really hate that word) that they will eat anything BUT Remington.

ETA: You really should give a cleaning and lube to all new guns before firing them. Especially .22's.

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got about 250 round through the one I got last week. I cleaned and lubed before taking it to the range. Run 100 round of mini-maxs through it then started using Federal bulk. Not a single FTF or FTE. If it doesn't get better, I'd contact S&W.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did give the gun a thorough clean and lube after the range. I'll purchase some premium ammo tomorrow and try the range again. Hopefully this will do the trick. I sure don't want to deal with the manufacturer. Thanks.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry, I am sure there's nothing wrong with your M&P15-22.

Remington will not reliably feed in the M&P15-22. They will FTF all day long. You will likely have several malfunctions per mag with Remington.

Federal and Winchester bulk will run 100%, as will CCI and other premium brands. I have almost 800 flawless rounds of Federal through mine. Accurate too! We were hitting a metal gong out at 200 yards last weekend. Have fun with it! They are great blasters! :sunbath:

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back to the range today with Federal ammo. Same problem.:cry11:
Bought 100 rounds of CCI High Velocity. No difference. Still stovepipes the spent round and fails to load the next round (most of the time bent in the barrel). This sucks! I have no choice but to contact S&W on Monday....unless someone has any other ideas??