FTF Problems w/SW M&P 15-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only have the (1) magazine that came with the gun. Maybe if I get with another M&P owner, I could eliminate that problem by using theirs. I did read on another forum about a guy adjusting his extractor (I don't think I would do this personally-warranty issue?). He said his problem went away, then came back after a few hundred rounds.
I'm going to go ahead and contact S&W tomorrow, just to hear what they have to say about the situation.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only have the (1) magazine that came with the gun. Maybe if I get with another M&P owner, I could eliminate that problem by using theirs. I did read on another forum about a guy adjusting his extractor (I don't think I would do this personally-warranty issue?). He said his problem went away, then came back after a few hundred rounds.
I'm going to go ahead and contact S&W tomorrow, just to hear what they have to say about the situation.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be shipping the gun off for repairs or letting anyone tinker with it until I tried the low cost and most common cause of weapon malfunctions...the magazine.

If you intend to keep the rifle, you'll need more mags anyway so you could order a new mag or two and run them through the rifle and see if that clears your trouble...of course this all assumes that mags for this rifle aren't some rare creature that cost a fortune.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be shipping the gun off for repairs or letting anyone tinker with it until I tried the low cost and most common cause of weapon malfunctions...the magazine.

If you intend to keep the rifle, you'll need more mags anyway so you could order a new mag or two and run them through the rifle and see if that clears your trouble...of course this all assumes that mags for this rifle aren't some rare creature that cost a fortune.

I think you are right. I was on the S&W forum and read some horror stories of how long it took to get their rifle back.
A couple of individuals had the feedramp completely break off (not my problem, I checked). Others stated that unknown pieces of plastic were found coming from the magazines themselves. My mag seems to be functioning properly. Although, when I load the magazine and cycle rounds through it manually, it seems to barely eject the rounds. When I do this with my Sig 556, the rounds practically fly across the room.
I will order another magazine, or try someone else's here in town. They are actually pretty cheap (approx. $21). I definitely plan on keeping the weapon even with the problems I am experiencing.
Thanks for the input.

fatmax987

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
:sorry1:
I think you are right. I was on the S&W forum and read some horror stories of how long it took to get their rifle back.
A couple of individuals had the feedramp completely break off (not my problem, I checked). Others stated that unknown pieces of plastic were found coming from the magazines themselves. My mag seems to be functioning properly. Although, when I load the magazine and cycle rounds through it manually, it seems to barely eject the rounds. When I do this with my Sig 556, the rounds practically fly across the room.
I will order another magazine, or try someone else's here in town. They are actually pretty cheap (approx. $21). I definitely plan on keeping the weapon even with the problems I am experiencing.
Thanks for the input.

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son and I just took our brand new 15-22 out yesterday and fed it 300 rds of federal bulk pack and 200 rds of remington bulk pack. We had 1 ftf with the federal and 1 with the remington. I would call that a success. We love the gun and it seems to be very accurate.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:nolike:Called S&W today. They want the gun back. Offered no input to the problem. I have to wait up to 48hrs for the shipping label, so I ordered another magazine next day air (might as well give this a try since I have to wait anyway).
I will update the results when the mag arrives.

TXshooter2k9

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi all, im Josh, and from Texas, but came acrosss this thread on while doing a google search for the 15-22. I just wanted pass along that i got my 15-22 from the Local Academy sport & Outdoors on Sept. 3rd i believe it was. Anyways, i had the same FTF, Jamming, etc issues with mine, and took it back to Academy and they mailed it back to S&W on the 8th. I should be getting it back tomorrow. Its on a fedex truck now. Took about a month from the time it was sent off to its return, hopefully it works like it should this time around. Im a member over on the Smith-Wesson forums, have read the many issues over there, from the same problems i have to stuff breaking. Im the only one i know of yet thats sent theres back for repair, So hope all goes well this time. Just wanted to share my experience. Thanks. Best of luck to everybody with theirs.