FTF Problems w/SW M&P 15-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which CCI ammo ? The reason I ask is when I use the round nose mini mags I get malfunctions in some guns that work fine with the hollow point mini mags.

Back to the range today with Federal ammo. Same problem.:cry11:
Bought 100 rounds of CCI High Velocity. No difference. Still stovepipes the spent round and fails to load the next round (most of the time bent in the barrel). This sucks! I have no choice but to contact S&W on Monday....unless someone has any other ideas??

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if 3 different loads do the same it definitely has an issue. On a positive note S&W's service was outstanding when I used them. And you'll have it back soon.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Rodman, are you loading the rounds into the mag one round at a time?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'd give S&W a call and see what they say.

You are more than welcome to bring it down to tri city range this weekend. We can take a look at it and compare it to mine to see what might be causing the issue.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I woulda got a dedicated upper. I don't really have a use for a .22 only AR. Seems like it defeats the purpose of an AR. :anyone:

For those that already have an AR, a dedicated upper makes sense. (still doesn't have an operational bolt release though)

For anyone that doesn't have an AR already, the S&W is by far more affordable. It is also just as accurate if not more so and just as reliable if not more so.

Where I see a dedicated upper really having an upper hand over the S&W is for those that already have a lower with a tax stamp to SBR it. If I had a SBRd AR lower, I would have gone the dedicated upper in a heartbeat. 7-11" barrel w/ suppressor = very nice. :)

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Rodman, are you loading the rounds into the mag one round at a time?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'd give S&W a call and see what they say.

You are more than welcome to bring it down to tri city range this weekend. We can take a look at it and compare it to mine to see what might be causing the issue.

S&W's customer service is only M-F, so I have to call tomorrow. Where is the tri city range? What are the Sunday hours? I'd love someone else that owns this rifle to take a look.
Thanks.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't think of it as an AR. More like a cool .22 - like my GSG-5. Besides...he can't get a dedicated upper, cuz his black rifle is a Sig 556.

I guess that's true. For a cool .22 I'd still say just get the dedicated upper and then get a complete lower. Costs a little more sure, but a much more versatile and tested setup than the S&W or the Colt.

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rodman, I ran another 250 rounds through mine yesterday. Had one failure to feed with the first mag that the grandson had loaded. Dropped the mag and it was evident he had let one of the cartridges nose point down. Outside of that it run great. Sounds like you might have an issue with the ejector. Let us know what S&W tells you.