Furlough notice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Collision repair/some fab work, mechanical, electrical etc. Went through Francis Tuttle BSEP program, was ASE Certified, GM Certified. Worked at Bob Howard for a couple years. As far as worth, it's been a few years so I don't know what the going rates are at now.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly I was never great at TIG, good enough to pass strength/bend tests, but not "wow those are some nice welds" good. I'm killer with MIG and stick.

jbro78

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got offical word today. That they reduced the furlough days from 22 days to 14!!!! Keep the cuts in days coming for me and my fellow workers!!!!!

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, my plans for part time work didn't pan out, so now I'm back to looking for some work. Anyone got any ideas, for working friday and maybe saturday or sunday?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MoBoost, I am a soon to be furloughed employee and you are correct that in the strictest sense we (DoD employees) are going to be given 32 hours pay per week for 32 hours labor for 14 weeks from 8 Jul - 30 Sep. I am also a manager and we are being strictly enjoined to ensure that no one is working from home or working extra hours - there is no "volunteer time" either. No employee will be able to amass any compensable time or overtime during the furlough period (with a very few exceptions for some no-kidding life or death specialties).

The real issue arises, beyond the fact that people planned on 40-hour per week pay in their personal lives, because in DoD many, many civilian employees routinely worked extra hours for no overtime, sometimes for a little CT, but almost always less than the time worked. Why? Because many of us are previous career military and the thought of walking out at 16:30 "on the clock" while troops need something done is foreign to our past training and our personal desires.

However, to those who say "soldiers will die" if I don't work 40, well some probably died because you didn't work 50, or 60 - the job never ends. It's like police work - no cop ever says "well, crime is now ended, its Miller time" they just take an arbitrary break based on human endurance and available pay and acknowledge that there is always more to do. So, do your best in the time allotted and make sure you prioritize because we don't want to be swatting at gnats while there are elephants running wild.

Latest posts

Top Bottom