G17 less than perfection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my 3rd gen g17. Today it had 3 fail to ejects, with the brass stuck in the barrel. By the 3rd time I just put her up and went on with my smith revolver. The glock is practically new, less than 200 rounds fired, and with my meat hooks, theres no 'limp wristing'. S&W 65 will be doing house duty until I can get this thing running. After the 2nd stoppage, the gun spooked me, thinking that it had been on the nightstand all these nights.

luvmykalashnikov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brass stuck in the barrel, is failure to extract. Did you check the extractor for damage? Did you disassemble the slide and maybe not put it back together correctly? Perhaps it just needs a good cleaning. I have seen glocks that would not run well out of the box because the owner did not clean it before shooting.
Reloads?
Did this happen on different types of ammo or just one? If just one brand, could be a bad batch, it happens.

A picture of the malfunction or even a fired case would help.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iv never cleaned my out of the box and theyve never had a problem BUT i did drop one of mine in water:lookarounone once,didnt break it down and oil and clean it and had 20 rounds (2 mags) that either didnt rack the slide or had the brass lock up, broke it down cleaned it and it ran like a sewing machine:thumb:, BUT i know the feeling :faint:that you get when a pistol youve always heard for ever are flawless "you can drop them in the mud and they still shoot" just one of the many things iv heard over the years but after you run a box or two thru it after you get it going again your faith comes back...iv never been a big glock fan:bigeye: so all the above is just ME theres a few of the guys on here that are diehard glock people so there opionon will mean more:)

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a G19C that gave me nothing but trouble. I had 4 other Glocks prior to that one that were flawless. I stayed away from them for years, but recently acquired a G33 and now I am a fan again.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my 3rd gen g17. Today it had 3 fail to ejects, with the brass stuck in the barrel. By the 3rd time I just put her up and went on with my smith revolver. The glock is practically new, less than 200 rounds fired, and with my meat hooks, theres no 'limp wristing'. S&W 65 will be doing house duty until I can get this thing running. After the 2nd stoppage, the gun spooked me, thinking that it had been on the nightstand all these nights.

If all else fails, send it back to Glock and ask them to fix it. They do things like that for free most of the time. Is the gun new or did you get it from someone?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like an extractor problem.

Is there dirt or any obstructions in the extractor groove?
Is the extractor broken?
Did you inspect the cases after firing?
How did the case rim look?

What kind of ammo did you use? Factory or reloads.

When loading, did you load from the magazine or drop a round in the chamber and release the slide?

I ask that one because Glock has a history of breaking extractors when a round is dropped in the chamber and the slide is released.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto Extractor Plunger in backwards, after 200 it should be running like a top. Own 8 Glocks, Thousands down range, only problem I have ever had is directly out of the box some slide-lock, after about a hundred it should stop. This gun WILL run, probably just need a good gunsmith to check her out. Good luck.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, haven't torn the gun down, but have field stripped and cleaned and lubed. The ammo is the culprit I believe. This was bulk ammo given to me, although it's brass FMJ, it seems odd? like it is a little to long? Today cleaned pistol again and ran Monarch, remmington and WWB through it without a hiccup. Must have been a bad batch of ammo. Anyway, me and G17 are on speaking terms again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom