Gen 4 Glocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Gen 4 Glocks are out and I grabbed a couple.
Before I bought them I called Glock and asked them whether the barrels are interchangeable between Gen 3 and Gen 4. I was told emphatically no. After I bought them I started comparing parts.
One of the new features is the double captive recoil spring, similar to the spring of the G26/G27. Because of that, the spring cutout on the bottom of the barrel of the Gen 4 is slightly larger, otherwise identical. I question the wisdom of the Glock tech who said that I cannot use my Gen 3 barrel in my Gen 4 slide. I did not have a chance to go to the range yet but hand cycling appears normal. I plan to use the old barrel in the new gun. Any opinions?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Gen 4 Glocks are out and I grabbed a couple.
Before I bought them I called Glock and asked them whether the barrels are interchangeable between Gen 3 and Gen 4. I was told emphatically no. After I bought them I started comparing parts.
One of the new features is the double captive recoil spring, similar to the spring of the G26/G27. Because of that, the spring cutout on the bottom of the barrel of the Gen 4 is slightly larger, otherwise identical. I question the wisdom of the Glock tech who said that I cannot use my Gen 3 barrel in my Gen 4 slide. I did not have a chance to go to the range yet but hand cycling appears normal. I plan to use the old barrel in the new gun. Any opinions?

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked everything I can think off, I posted in case I missed something. I have used a G19 barrel in a G26 without any problem. These two barrels differ the same way as the Gen3-4 do.

Incorrect. The Gen3 G26 / G19 barrels are designed exactly the same save the length - the Gen 4 Glock barrels aren't exactly the same - I wouldn't do it personally (what are you going to accomplish?).

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Incorrect. The Gen3 G26 / G19 barrels are designed exactly the same save the length - the Gen 4 Glock barrels aren't exactly the same - I wouldn't do it personally (what are you going to accomplish?).

The G26 spring cutout on the barrel lower side is larger than the G19 due to the different spring assemblies they use. That is the same difference that I see between Gen3-4. If a G19 barrel can be used in a G26, something done by many, I see no reason why I cannot do the same with the 3-4 barrels. I am confident that I can, I asked for opinions just in case I missed something.
I have a special expensive barrel for my old G17 that I need to use in the new G17.
I appreciate your comment.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The G26 spring cutout on the barrel lower side is larger than the G19 due to the different spring assemblies they use. That is the same difference that I see between Gen3-4. If a G19 barrel can be used in a G26, something done by many, I see no reason why I cannot do the same with the 3-4 barrels. I am confident that I can, I asked for opinions just in case I missed something.
I have a special expensive barrel for my old G17 that I need to use in the new G17.
I appreciate your comment.

I can't seem to find the article now, but I was reading something about them the other day and I thought I read that the barrel design was changed quite a bit more than just a relieved area for the captive recoil spring.

Maybe its not enough to worry about, but still - I wouldn't try it personally.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't seem to find the article now, but I was reading something about them the other day and I thought I read that the barrel design was changed quite a bit more than just a relieved area for the captive recoil spring.

Maybe its not enough to worry about, but still - I wouldn't try it personally.

If you happen to see that article again, please post it. Considering the weather, I will not be shooting it for a few days. Tomorrow, I'll take the guns apart and mike and compare the two barrels and slides all over again. I find it hard to just trust the factory rep knowing that everybody tries to cover their rear from any possible lawsuit. Just like they tell us not to use handloads; I've been reloading for decades.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom