Gen 4 Glocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question about the Gen 4 Glocks.... the interchangable backstrap... Does it increase or decrease the grip size or feel?

My girlfriend loves glocks but has smaller hands so we went with the M&P 9c for her to getr a better grip but she doesn't like have to buy new hoslter and new mag pouches etc...

They come with three different ones (small, medium, large) just like the M&P.

Actually, I'm thinking the Walther P99 was the very first to have this feature...wasn't it?

[Broken External Image]

That P99 is no slouch, BTW...purdy good blaster. ;)

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to clarify the grip differences - there are only two add on backstraps for a total of 3 sizes.

Small - This is the gun as it is made without any add-on backstrap. This is basically an SF frame for 9/.40/.357 if such a thing already existed. This differentiates it from the M&P and P99, as those backstraps are necessary components. The Glock's add-on backstraps are not necessary components.

Medium - This is an add-on backstrap pinned over the SF frame. This backstrap makes the grip the same basic size of a Gen3.

Large - This is an add-on backstrap over the SF frame. This backstrap makes the grip the same basic size of a G21.

Hope that helps.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question about the Gen 4 Glocks.... the interchangable backstrap... Does it increase or decrease the grip size or feel?

My girlfriend loves glocks but has smaller hands so we went with the M&P 9c for her to getr a better grip but she doesn't like have to buy new hoslter and new mag pouches etc...

The Gen4 has the same thickness and without the backstraps it is .040-.050 less front to back on the grip. I have large hands and have been using my Gen4s as they are, to me its the same, I can't tell any difference.

Baron Driver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They come with three different ones (small, medium, large) just like the M&P.

Actually, I'm thinking the Walther P99 was the very first to have this feature...wasn't it?

[Broken External Image]

That P99 is no slouch, BTW...purdy good blaster. ;)

I believe they were, and having owned two P99's, I can attest that they are pretty good shooters. I still suffer the occasional withdrawls and think about getting another, but then I realize that it's just a fetish for German handguns and try to get over it.

As for the 4th Gen Glocks... I'm not sold yet. I think I'll have to shoot one at some point, but I can't see dumping a perfectly good 3rd Gen just to get one.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had around a dozen P99's, and maybe 4 times that many GLOCKS. I much prefer the Walthers. They offer much more variability in their models. Don't get me wrong, I think the GLOCK are excellent performing firearms, but they seem to be playing catch-up to Walther on design. The head designer of the P99 used to work for GLOCK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom