General Ergonomics and Quality of Modern Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm beating Dr. THW to the punch on this one. But when you get your writeup done, please post it in this thread.

Please, in this thread, no blind bashing of pistols. This is an "in your experience only" thread, no "I read in xyz magazine that..." Even better, keep this to guns you've actually shot; better yet, guns you've shot a lot.

While yes, this is sparked from the "glocks suck nards" comment, I'm interested in discussing pros and cons from any pistols, comparos and pictures very welcome (nay, encouraged!).

I'll state that originally, I was not a Glock person, at all. But, being a gun person, I'll take any chance I get to shoot any gun I can get my paws on. So naturally, that included Glocks. Eventually I decided to just try one of my own. To sum it up, it's not for sale.

So to start off....
What I like about the Glock platform.
- simplicity, both in design, operation, and disassembly. Draw, aim, fire.
- ruggedness, basically, short of going at it with an axe or a torch, not much you're going to do to it.
- reliability, not on par with Sig, but pretty dang good.
- ergonomics, minus the factory mag release, it fits my hand quite well.
- looks, call me crazy (I am, no worries there!), but I like the look of my Glock. All business. None of the no purpose slide contours, cuts, or other un needed frills. For that matter, much like the original 1911 governments.
- grip angle, return to natural point of aim is very similar between the Glock and the revolvers I own (Ruger & S&W).
- same trigger pull every time
- aftermarket, what can I say... there's a lot of it!
- lightweight, ~4" barrel, 15+1 capacity at ~21oz unloaded. Compare that to the all steel 1911 below. :eek2:
- controllable for rapid fire

What I don't like.
- reliability, not as good as the Sig, won't cycle light target loads (Sig will), won't cycle when limpwristed (Sig will), and won't cycle wadcutter style rounds (Sig will).
- accuracy, compared to Sig or Kimber (say what you will about that) plenty good for combat, but no MOA guarantees!

1911s
Pros
- Uber accurate. 1 ragged hole at 10 yards was pretty common. Granted, I was shooting a Kimber, but I did similar with most quality 1911s I shot, including a 3" Springfield.
- Trigger... :drooling:
- same trigger pull every time
- Looks... :mosh:
- Good ones run like a top, so smooth, like art.

Cons
- weight, 34 oz unloaded, for 7 rounds. OUCH!!
- reliability, mine wasn't so hot. picky about mags (not really much of a complaint), but I did have to change the recoil spring regularly. As in, by 1k rounds the gun was a jam o matic heap.
- complicated assembly, intricate parts requiring fitting.

Sig
Pros
- reliable, "To hell and back" is putting it mildly.
- accurate
- reasonably light

Cons
- different trigger pulls
- high bore axis - harder to control with rapid fire
- thick! people talk about the Glock as being too wide, the Sig is noticably wider in the grip area
- boring, I mean, I jammed it once, due to a primer being sideways in the primer pocket. I've tried loading spent cases in the mag to simulate jams, but sometimes it will actually feed them, and I don't realize it till the gun goes 'click'.
- slide release placement, too easy to accidentally hold the release down keeping the slide from locking back on empty.

Did I mention the Sig is reliable?

Revolvers:
Ruger style (push button cylinder release)
Pros
- seriously heavy duty.
- same manual of arms as my primary carry (Glock).
- similar natural point of aim as the Glock.
- accurate
- reliable, other than ammo issues, the Ruger is trouble free.
- DA, so if a round doesn't go off, pull trigger again for new round.
- good looks

Cons
- heavy for capacity
- if ammo jams the gun, hard to clear. I have actually found case rims thick enough they wouldn't pass through between the breech face and cylinder. Only happened with one brand (A-merc), but it did happen.
- slower reloads than semi-auto

S&W
pros:
- Trigger
- reliability
- vies with 1911 for best looking gun ever.

cons:
- same as Ruger, other than not as durable

Comparing the Glock to the M&Ps and XDs I've shot / handled.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nikat, I just want to say that I disagree with you on your Sig comment. I have shots thousands upon thousands of rounds through my Glock with no problems. I have a Sig 229 for duty and that thing needs to be WET to run smooth. I've only shot maybe 500 rounds through it, but I notice that after a small shooting session, it gets sticky really fast. Also just throwing this out, I've also seen people limp wrist a Sig and it jam every single round.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said about the Glock, minus it not being as reliable as a Sig.

That is all :)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll have to take my Sig out again. I'm always good for more shooting. Yes, I have to lube the Sig more, but I've put 2-300 rounds in one session without issue before.

Maybe I wasn't limp wristing badly enough??

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The structural durability of the frame and internal parts of the guns. Compare a K frame to the Security Six guns. Take them apart to pins and springs, the internals of the Ruger guns are much more heavy duty (big part of the reason for the difference in trigger quality). Also, the frame does not have the entire side of it cut out on the Ruger.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nikat, I just want to say that I disagree with you on your Sig comment. I have shots thousands upon thousands of rounds through my Glock with no problems. I have a Sig 229 for duty and that thing needs to be WET to run smooth. I've only shot maybe 500 rounds through it, but I notice that after a small shooting session, it gets sticky really fast. Also just throwing this out, I've also seen people limp wrist a Sig and it jam every single round.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said about the Glock, minus it not being as reliable as a Sig.

That is all :)

I've never seen this and I've owned/currently own 7 Sigs (including a P239, a P229, a P228, a P6, and more than one P226). All my guns are 9mm to be fair, and I assume your duty P229 is a .40, but you might have an issue with that gun man.

What do you mean by "needs to be WET to run smooth"? Does it malfunction if dry?

I got to more than 800rds in my P226 Frankenstein gun with no oiling/cleaning and didn't have a single hiccup. Its got about 2000rds in it now and I've run it with mags that were so dirty (from repeated dropping for drills) that I was amazed they still ran (full of sand, dirt, and even grass in one of the mags). Never a malfunction.

I've run almost all my Sigs that way (except the P239) and none have failed to fire, extract/eject, feed, or for that matter had any malfunction at all except for the two dirtiest mags failed to hold the slide back on the last round (and they were Mec Gar mags with different followers than the rest of the mags to be fair).

I know Glocks are reliable, but I wouldn't consider them as reliable as a metal-framed Sig - but to be honest, very few people on this board would ever find that failure point by running them so hard that they do fail.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The structural durability of the frame and internal parts of the guns. Compare a K frame to the Security Six guns. Take them apart to pins and springs, the internals of the Ruger guns are much more heavy duty (big part of the reason for the difference in trigger quality). Also, the frame does not have the entire side of it cut out on the Ruger.

There is a difference between "heavier parts"/"heavier frame" and "durability".

I disagree with you as I have seen no difference in durability between Ruger and Smith Revolvers. Definately nothing that could justify a blank statement like "not as durable"

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree with you as I have seen no difference in durability between Ruger and Smith Revolvers. Definately nothing that could justify a blank statement like "not as durable"

Personally, I think he's right from my experiences or what I've seen. Rugers are built like tanks and I've seen quite a few S&Ws go back under hard use.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I never said "heavier," I said more heavy duty. In my engineering mind, from what I've studied of the individual parts, the Rugers have more material in critical places.

I'm not saying the S&W's are like fine china or anything, just that over the course of multiple thousands of rounds, I don't believe the S&W will hold up as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom