Glock 36?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about going to a small .45 for carry. Several years ago I looked at a Glock 36, and was scared off by some issues that related to the early production guns.

I presume Glock has resolved whatever was not working well. Do I need to be careful as to when a 36 was made?

And, if you have experience with these, what is your take on them? I don't mind the small number of rounds, and that's the only limitation I have identified up to now, but have only fired one a few times at the H&H expo. CB

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had experience with a few Glock 36's.
I had an early one, it was a jam-o-matic.
The later ones were perfect, capable of putting all 6 in one hole at 30 feet, and for me the only Glock that's really comfortable in my hand.
Get a good one and you'll love it.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont own a 36 because my opinion for CCW is accuracy and conceal-ability triumph, not caliber; besides, stopping power is all about well placed shots. Therefore, I carry the 26 since I can carry more rounds.

However, I have shot the 36 and its got a beast of a recoil compared to the 26, but very manageable with some training.

I am, however, looking at getting the 21 because I need a full-size .45.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been carrying one for years. I have had zero issues with it. I have heard of the problems that some people had with them but I have never experienced that with mine.

SDS

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had experience with a few Glock 36's.
I had an early one, it was a jam-o-matic.
The later ones were perfect, capable of putting all 6 in one hole at 30 feet, and for me the only Glock that's really comfortable in my hand.
Get a good one and you'll love it.

Right there. Im with this fellar.

dont own a 36 because my opinion for CCW is accuracy and conceal-ability triumph, not caliber; besides, stopping power is all about well placed shots. Therefore, I carry the 26 since I can carry more rounds.

However, I have shot the 36 and its got a beast of a recoil compared to the 26, but very manageable with some training.

I am, however, looking at getting the 21 because I need a full-size .45.

Not arguing with you, as firearm "fitting" is a personal thing.

The size is not too much more than a 26, with the fact the mag is longer, its more on par with a G19/23.

As for the recoil. I was suprised at the recoil in comparison to my 1911 full size that I CCW'd for the first 5 years of my license. Contrary to what logic told me, I found the recoil less. As davek said, I have no issues doing follow-up shots that are within an inch at longer ranges than I was able to with my 1911 (thats not a nod to glock over 1911's either).

I would absolutely recommend anyone considering the G36 to shoot it first and make sure that quick follow-ups arent going to be an issue.

My G36 is a summer gun. In the winter I prefer more rounds of a smaller calibre (G23).

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for the recoil. I was suprised at the recoil in comparison to my 1911 full size that I CCW'd for the first 5 years of my license. Contrary to what logic told me, I found the recoil less. As davek said, I have no issues doing follow-up shots that are within an inch at longer ranges than I was able to with my 1911 (thats not a nod to glock over 1911's either).

That's interesting; my experience was the total opposite. I've owned several 1911's, and my current fave is a Kimber CDP Compact .45 (Commander barrel, Officer grip). I had a G36 also, but that Glock was heck on my hand with its stout recoil. It felt like someone was smacking my open palm with a length of 2 x 4, every time I pulled the trigger. After emptying one magazine, my hand would be stinging. Then after the sensation went away, I'd pick up my 1911 and shoot a magazine - and another - and another... all with no ill effect.

I sold the G36 after putting maybe 50 rounds through it. Worst recoiling pistol I ever tried. Maybe learning a better grip would have helped, but when I compare the G36 to all the other pistols I've owned or fired up to the same caliber, the G36 was far and away the stoutest in the recoil department.

Obviously others may have a different experience than mine, but I'd strongly suggest that anyone considering buying one, try it out first.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting; my experience was the total opposite. I've owned several 1911's, and my current fave is a Kimber CDP Compact .45 (Commander barrel, Officer grip). I had a G36 also, but that Glock was heck on my hand with its stout recoil. It felt like someone was smacking my open palm with a length of 2 x 4, every time I pulled the trigger. After emptying one magazine, my hand would be stinging. Then after the sensation went away, I'd pick up my 1911 and shoot a magazine - and another - and another... all with no ill effect.

I sold the G36 after putting maybe 50 rounds through it. Worst recoiling pistol I ever tried. Maybe learning a better grip would have helped, but when I compare the G36 to all the other pistols I've owned or fired up to the same caliber, the G36 was far and away the stoutest in the recoil department.

Obviously others may have a different experience than mine, but I'd strongly suggest that anyone considering buying one, try it out first.

My buddy shot it and said the same thing you did. So I dont know what the deal is. Either I've got a wierd grip or Gaston Glock is controlling me with mind bullets. In .45, I've always favored the 1911 above other guns types. But for some reason the 36 just fit the bill. I still prefer 1911s, but when it comes to carry, Im a glock guy.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked hard at one. Stumbled into a Kahr CW45 instead. Might still pick up a 36 as I like the little 45 compacts. Never had any problem with the recoil on the little Kahr so I suspect I'd be good to go on the 36. But as been said it might be a good idea for someone to rent or shoot one first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom