Good base 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Not in the near future, but someday I'd like to have a custom 1911. What low cost 1911s are available that have quality frames / slides that would be worth customizing later?

I've heard the Norincos have a quality forged frame. Others like that?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly inexpensive, but Springfield uses Imbel frames, which are forged in Brazil and have a pretty good reputation.

The GI model runs, what, a bit over 5 new? Not overly expensive, especially when compared to other (cast) guns in that price range.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, let me ask you, why do you think you need to start with a pistol first?

Here's the thing, for the price you invest in the initial gun for primarily the slide and frame (because most other parts you probably wont want to use), you can invest in a new frame and slide that has yet to be "fit"... instead of trying to make the other fit better... you can make it fit right in the first place.

You can do this for around $300 for the combo... and it is what I would HIGHLY recommend.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, let me ask you, why do you think you need to start with a pistol first?

Here's the thing, for the price you invest in the initial gun for primarily the slide and frame (because most other parts you probably wont want to use), you can invest in a new frame and slide that has yet to be "fit"... instead of trying to make the other fit better... you can make it fit right in the first place.

You can do this for around $300 for the combo... and it is what I would HIGHLY recommend.

maybe he wants a little rattle. Besides you should know it's all about barrel lock-up. :)

NK, share with your ideas that you want on your custom 1911.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not in the near future, but someday I'd like to have a custom 1911. What low cost 1911s are available that have quality frames / slides that would be worth customizing later?

I've heard the Norincos have a quality forged frame. Others like that?

maybe he wants a little rattle. Besides you should know it's all about barrel lock-up. :)

NK, share with your ideas that you want on your custom 1911.

Partly true... but if it's too loose, lock up won't necessarily come to the same place... EVERY time. That's part of what makes a working pistol an "accurate working pistol".

:)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The steel in a Norinco is just as good as any.... including NH, Baer, Wilson etc. The finish is just light years betterw with the others. :D

For a base gun, I'd go with a Springer Mil spec... not the GI but the Mil-spec.

Otherwise the foster suggestion is a very good one depending on what you want.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The steel in a Norinco is just as good as any.... including NH, Baer, Wilson etc. The finish is just light years betterw with the others. :D

For a base gun, I'd go with a Springer Mil spec... not the GI but the Mil-spec.

Otherwise the foster suggestion is a very good one depending on what you want.

Why Mil-Spec over GI?

Yeah, the Foster is just one suggestion to adhere to a price point... there are many other options.

Latest posts

Top Bottom