Colt MKIV Series 70 Govt bullseye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve thought about this thread since seeing it this morning, and if the gun were mine, I’d try to reinstall whatever rail was on top of the slide, make sure the slide to frame fit is ok, and shoot the sh*t out of it. Cerakote is the last thing I would ever do to a 1911.

Unmolested, that gun should bring around $1500-2000 easy where I live, and if you got the rail back on it, there are folks that are into old bullseye guns and might pay that much for that one.
The Marine Corps taught me one thing, hunks of metal are just guns and you cant take them with you when you die 😂.
Does it have a colt barrel in it?
Barrel is unmarked. Ive had probably 6 people look at it and have no idea.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The real question is how does the slide fit to the frame and how does the barrel fit.

It’s probably going to be cheaper and quicker to buy a factory 1911 you want rather than find someone who can do the work on your 1911.
Frame to slide rattles but not excessively in my opinion. Barrel is solid I do believe.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Marine Corps taught me one thing, hunks of metal are just guns and you cant take them with you when you die 😂.
Sir, I took time to compose what I think is a decent reply to the information you‘re looking for, but your reply makes you look like a troll. You have a nice pistol even in it’s current condition, but at this point, I don’t care if you use it for a trotline weight.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sir, I took time to compose what I think is a decent reply to the information you‘re looking for, but your reply makes you look like a troll. You have a nice pistol even in it’s current condition, but at this point, I don’t care if you use it for a trotline weight.
Well, its your choice to take offense or let it roll like water on a ducks back. And thanks for your input.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are aftermarket sights that will fit the the stock dovetail. I have a adjustable rear site in my parts box I will make you deal on. You could put a after market stake on in front. You would have a good shooter grade that someone suggested. Bead blast the top of the slide and cold blue.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colts aren't special, and in todays market are middle tier, outside of perceived value, which is off the charts for collector types. Older ones, while beautiful IMO, had all sort of inconsistent QC. There was a great idea of finding the rail and putting it back on. that's what I'd do, and sell it. Old Bullseye guns would appeal to a certain demographic. Get what you can out of it, and buy a Dan Wesson or something of the like.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
A good gunsmith/artisan, can fill those holes and fix the front strap, refit/refinish it and get it singing. It'll be more than $400 bucks though.

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's unfortunate because that's a nice 1972-made Colt. If you're lucky the internals of the gun haven't been messed up by bubba-smithing.

I don't know how much it would be to fill those holes, checker the front strap and refinish the gun (I'd definitely do that as opposed to buying a new slide). I'd say if it could be done for $400-ish, it might be worth it.

As it sits, assuming the internals haven't been screwed up, too, I'd pay about $250 for it. It's just hard to say what else might be wrong with it. Aside from the grips the external parts look correct. I don't know if it's worth more than that or not...that's just what I'd pay. Because by the time the restoration work was done I'd likely be into it for what I'd have into a nice Series 70 that wasn't messed up.
I would get another Bomar rib setup for it, they are still available and run 250-300.
I had a gun done up about the same way in the 70's by Jim Clark and it was a real shooter!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one just like it for awhile and the stripling is not DIY, there was a company that did it that way. Mine even had the heavy Bomar rib. Grips were different if I remember correctly. I needed a revolver for work so I traded it for a S&W M13.

Latest posts

Top Bottom