Colt MKIV Series 70 Govt bullseye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a gun years ago before I knew much about handguns and accessories. Now years later I dont like the set up and want a modernized 1911. The slide was drilled and tapped for a BoMar sight rail which I believe was used for bullseye matches…. So now Ive got a slide that isnt cut for novaks, and a DIY stippling job on the front strap. How much value is depreciated or what is it worth? (I can get a new slide and send it all off and have it customized but that cost adds up quick vs attempting to sell to someone who wants a project gun, saving a little, and buying a SA or R1 etc.,)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 01292DB0-EBB6-466F-BEB2-5B18AA37575D.jpeg
    01292DB0-EBB6-466F-BEB2-5B18AA37575D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 6461FDD7-1BBF-49B9-93A7-9E199870E660.jpeg
    6461FDD7-1BBF-49B9-93A7-9E199870E660.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • C0E5DD62-B27D-41D3-AB18-56D5D2ABDF58.jpeg
    C0E5DD62-B27D-41D3-AB18-56D5D2ABDF58.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 9F9B7136-E6B5-4C88-87AC-7C0AEAEB5DFB.jpeg
    9F9B7136-E6B5-4C88-87AC-7C0AEAEB5DFB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's unfortunate because that's a nice 1972-made Colt. If you're lucky the internals of the gun haven't been messed up by bubba-smithing.

I don't know how much it would be to fill those holes, checker the front strap and refinish the gun (I'd definitely do that as opposed to buying a new slide). I'd say if it could be done for $400-ish, it might be worth it.

As it sits, assuming the internals haven't been screwed up, too, I'd pay about $250 for it. It's just hard to say what else might be wrong with it. Aside from the grips the external parts look correct. I don't know if it's worth more than that or not...that's just what I'd pay. Because by the time the restoration work was done I'd likely be into it for what I'd have into a nice Series 70 that wasn't messed up.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whoever done that stippl(butcher)ing job, should have a 3# sledge and a punch used on their forehead.

Cost of a new slide vs sell as is and buy a new SA is a bargain. IMO
Valuing yours, as is, at about half of a new SA. Someone MIGHT pay more. ????

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's unfortunate because that's a nice 1972-made Colt. If you're lucky the internals of the gun haven't been messed up by bubba-smithing.

I don't know how much it would be to fill those holes, checker the front strap and refinish the gun (I'd definitely do that as opposed to buying a new slide). I'd say if it could be done for $400-ish, it might be worth it.

As it sits, assuming the internals haven't been screwed up, too, I'd pay about $250 for it. It's just hard to say what else might be wrong with it. Aside from the grips the external parts look correct. I don't know if it's worth more than that or not...that's just what I'd pay. Because by the time the restoration work was done I'd likely be into it for what I'd have into a nice Series 70 that wasn't messed up.
Ultimately what Id like in a 1911, is what you just said again, and cerakoted. I dont care if its a random parts thrown together pistol, as long as it is reliable, accurate, and functional. It is by no means my go to handgun, not even my third! But I love 1911s and I enjoy owning them. Thanks for the input

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a s70 at the Tulsa gun show a few years back. Got it home and upon inspection noticed that someone had dremeled the locking lugs in the slide. Returned it to dealer and got a refund. It was RJ's gun shop.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The real question is how does the slide fit to the frame and how does the barrel fit.

It’s probably going to be cheaper and quicker to buy a factory 1911 you want rather than find someone who can do the work on your 1911.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ultimately what Id like in a 1911, is what you just said again, and cerakoted. I dont care if its a random parts thrown together pistol, as long as it is reliable, accurate, and functional. It is by no means my go to handgun, not even my third! But I love 1911s and I enjoy owning them. Thanks for the input
You'd be hard-pressed to find a better gun for the money than a Series 70 Colt. I'd put a little money into that one if I were you. You'd have a fine pistol with just a little work. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I’ve thought about this thread since seeing it this morning, and if the gun were mine, I’d try to reinstall whatever rail was on top of the slide, make sure the slide to frame fit is ok, and shoot the sh*t out of it. Cerakote is the last thing I would ever do to a 1911.

Unmolested, that gun should bring around $1500-2000 easy where I live, and if you got the rail back on it, there are folks that are into old bullseye guns and might pay that much for that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom