GOP Reps. Want Charges Dropped Against SEALs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They were arraigned in military court in December and the trials are set to begin in April for Huertas and Keefe, and in May for McCabe, who is charged with assault, dereliction of duty and making a false official statement; Keefe is charged with dereliction of duty and making a false official statement; and Huertas is charged with dereliction of duty, making a false official statement and impeding an official investigation.

If there's evidence that they did the bolded charges, and it's illegal, then they ought to face charges. As for the assault for a punch and bloody lip, that's much more arguable - doesn't sound too bad to me - didn't maim the a-hole towelhead or anything.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there's evidence that they did the bolded charges, and it's illegal, then they ought to face charges.

Based only on what has been publically published, I can't agree.
As a former unit commander (and military magistrate for 5 years), my opinion is that their commander messed up and now is stuck with a situation he could have avoided.

Never offer an Article 15 unless it is a serious offense and you've got them cold.
Never bluff; always assume they will ask for a Court Martial if you're shaky.

For a minor lapse in judgement of good people carrying out your orders, give them a written reprimand and inform your superiors that the case is closed and take your lumps if they don't like your decision. Then when it comes time for the troops' official performance report in their permanent record, give the reprimand the consideration it deserves (file 13) and rate them according to their overall performance.

No commander ever died from a class one butt chewing (and I got a couple of world-class ones) for backing up his people, but you can die quickly if you teach your people you can't be trusted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom