Got some meat chickens ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, GC is about to find out what it's like to have to butcher his "babies". :naughty: We were at TSC today and came home with 6 Cornish crosses ... I'll let you know how it goes in 10 weeks! :comfort::lmfao::thumbup3: (For the record, I wanted to get an even dozen, but couldn't talk him into it! :o I'm thinking we should stagger our meat birds and have a harvest every 8 weeks or so. That would give us a bird to eat every week and a couple to put in the freezer. And I've butchered 30 meat birds at one time before -- I'd rather space them out a bit. Cleaning 30 birds at a time is a LOT of work ... :tounge:)

I know ... I shouldn't be so mean but it's funny to watch a city boy in action sometimes! :naughty: The trick is gonna be butchering birds and not having the kids that live on either side of us catch us doing it. Might have to do some butchering at odd times of the evening ... Just to be on the safe side.

I have a little sister, who, to this day, will not eat chicken because Daddy had us help him butcher a bunch of chickens when we were kids and she was "traumatized". She was always such a tree-hugger! :naughty: I thought she was gonna die of a heart attack when Daddy told us kids we were eating a mutt-dog that we had named "Noisy" for obvious reasons. He disappeared (hit by a car on the highway) and she asked about him while we were eating roast for dinner one night. Daddy got that look on his face and said "Mmmmmm ... I've always like me some dog." :lmfao: She turned white as a sheet! My mom was so mad! :lmfao:

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to be ready for the slaughter a bit sooner than 10wks. Our last ones were well ready at 8wks, 8+ lbs on the foot.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got 22 to put in the freezer last fall. It took 10 weeks to get to full size, but let them free range some of that time. I shouldve kept them penned to fatten them up a lil quicker. Prolly could've shaved off some time. Nice big birds.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did some of those Cornish cross, it's pointless to keep them alive more than 8 weeks. They just put on fat after that.
They are more like meat plants, most of them don't know how to he chickens. They just stay in one place and put on meat - or fat if you keep 'em going too long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom