Got some meat chickens ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on the serious side, stick with the 8 weeks, more they will just be fat and not as tasty.

not serious side, I shot a couple of small wild pigs (20lbs). Hung them from the carport and started butchering just before school let out. A lot of kids walk through my yard to get home. Well, at least they did, not so much anymore.

Tuplumber

Marksman
Reaction score
Do you have any laying hens you could part with? Mine got murdered by a stray dog a couple weeks ago. We went from 8 to 1. It is going to be summer time before I have a good supply of eggs again.

ncarper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a feed store in Ponca that had a machine to strip the feathers from a chicken It closed, but I've recently found a guy that uses a washing machine with special fingers inside to take the feathers off. He told me that its available on the internet, but wouldnt tell the name.
So If you want to go this way google "removing chicken feathers" and see what pops up.

The most popular home built chicken picker design is called the Wizbang. You can buy plans at http://www.wizbangbooks.blogspot.com. I built one out of all new parts for about $700; one could build it much cheaper out of used parts though . It will pluck three chickens in under a minute - pin feathers and all.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tuplumber, do a search on Facebook for local groups with keyword "chicken". There's several chicken auction/trade groups. I have one myself in Carter county. I'm seeing a lot of different kinds of birds and eggs advertised.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This part is hilarious! I might put this quote in my sig!

:lookaroun :faint: O.M.G. I'm gonna be in so much trouble if you do that!! (But upon re-reading that post, you are right, that is a HOOT!! :lmfao: )

And thank you other guys for the links to chicken plucker plans. I dunno. That seems like a lot of money to fork over when I can just pull up a chair, turn on the radio, pop open a beer and get it done myself ... But then again ... THREE MINUTES!?!!?!? WOW!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom